It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 ST Paddy's Day-- 
MMT Pro Member

Post ST Paddy's Day--
Got a head start on St Paddy's day this week as I cured/corned two good sized roasts-one moose one deer and cooked them yesterday --we ate most of one and froze the other for next mos feast. delicious!

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:20 am
MMT Pro Member

Location: Drive East until somebody gives you the finger, then drive five hours North.
Post Re: ST Paddy's Day--
Glad to see someone else on here celebrates St. Pats. I've just been getting ready by drinking even more heavily than usual to get my tolerance up. 14-15hrs is a marathon drinking session. If you don't mind, would you let me know how you corned them? I've got some venison roasts that I was planning on corning. Don't know which recipe to use.

The green beer delivery is this Sunday at noon. They bring it in in a tanker.

"Once I ate leftover chinese that had been kept in an unsealed container and I experienced complete awareness."

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:50 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: ST Paddy's Day--
I used two roasts- one fairly thin and a thicker one--I use Morton's Tender Quick-DRY rub it on meat-put it in a Zip Lock for 2 days- rinse- put in crock pot with some onion skins(or a slice or two) some celery tops- and 2 Tbsp of Pickling Spice--bring to boil-reduce heat and simmer till tender-I then cool it -slice it and reheat over steam when ready-
Better still I put my carrots- celery chunks- potatoes and cabbage in with meat to cook- it makes a real nice pot liquor-
I used to put pickling spice in a wet brine for 10 days -2 wks and then cook meat- i don't think it was that much better but try it either way-
after first meal we had some hash for Bkfst and Ruebens for lunch one day-
I am going to start some pastrami this week- wet bring(1 QT water- 1C Morton's 2 Tbsp pickling spice-- cure for 10 days or so- check by cutting meat to see if it's PINK all the way through-then put it in a smoke/cooker- cool smoke best but any ok.
As you can see i brine wet or dry longer times than Morton package says to-
you can also use a regular brine with canning salt- but Morton's is almost bullet proof and easy.
I am too old these days to drink in any Marathon sessions BUT enjoy my brews as much as ever!
Enjoy!

Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]