It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Venison Recipes 
MMT Pro Member

Location: Drive East until somebody gives you the finger, then drive five hours North.
Post Venison Recipes
Looking for some new and interesting Venison recipes. Something other than stews and chilis and pulled venison. Got a freezer full, and figure it's about time to start using it.

"Once I ate leftover chinese that had been kept in an unsealed container and I experienced complete awareness."

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:15 pm
MMT F.E.

Location: In a trailer of common sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity
Post Re: Venison Recipes
If you have the tenderloins, cut them into 1.5" thick filets. Apply a generous coating of course ground sea salt and fresh black pepper. Sear them on the grill at a VERY high temp (should only take about 1 minute per side). Only cook them until they are med-rare and serve hot.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 pm
MMT F.E.

Location: In a trailer of common sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity
There's a restaurant on the river here in Tuscaloosa called Cypress Inn. Cool little locally owned establishment with a great view of the river. They have a dish called the Cypress Inn Special. I made it for dinner tonight with deer meat and thought that some of y'all might like to give it a go.

Make a good sized patty from ground deer meat, seasoning with Dale's, spices, salt & pepper - whatever floats your boat. Dice up a medium sized yellow onion. Put the patty (or patties if you are cooking for more than one) in a skillet along with the diced onions and cover. Cook over medium heat. You want to brown the patty all the way through, not skillet-fry it. The onions will cook down as well, making a bit of moisture in the skillet. Be sure to flip the patty to ensure even cooking.

While the patty is cooking, dice up a half of a green bell pepper and some tomatoes (I used 2 plum tomatoes). Also have a package of sliced mushrooms standing by (I used baby portobellos).

When the patty is nearly done, remove the cover to allow the moisture to cook out. Once the moisture is gone and the onions start to stick, remove the skillet from the heat and add the mushrooms, tomatoes, and bell peppers. Scrape off the top of the patty (still in the skillet) and cover it with shredded jack and chedder cheese. Replace the cover and keep it off the heat. The retained heat will melt the cheese in a couple of minutes, and it will just start to warm the veggies.

Once the cheese is melted, serve it up and enjoy. I had a side of brown rice with tonight's dinner.

Total prep & cook time was about 20 minutes.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:27 pm
MMT Pro Member

Location: Drive East until somebody gives you the finger, then drive five hours North.
That's pretty much what we usually do, unfortunately it's around -5 degrees outside, so I'm not going to be doing any grilling this week. How do you usually cook a roast? Mine always end up being dry.

"Once I ate leftover chinese that had been kept in an unsealed container and I experienced complete awareness."

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:29 pm
MMT F.E.

crock pot with taters, shrooms, onions, garlic, etc...

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 pm
MMT Addict

You can broil it if it's too cold outside. I like to get a fire going while skinning a deer and toss cuts on the grill as I go. Cook it about like jon said with a dash of garlic and teryaki with a few pieces of basil. I've even started the fire in the grill before getting in the stand.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:26 am
MMT Pro Member

I've been thinking about taking one of the roasts and trying to corn it. Has anyone tried this?

Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 pm
MMT Pro Member

Years ago I made up a 2-3 page wild game cooking hand out for a men's cooking class I was teaching--If you would like a copy- PM me with your snail mail address.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:46 pm
MMT Pro Member

Cube the meat (what ever cut you prefer).
Put in a bag with a little bit of Jack Daniels Horseradish Mustard.
A little salt, pepper and Cholula hot sauce.
Every time you go to refrigerator squeeze bag like you squeezing you wife's...well you know.
When ready to cook, take meat out bag a breader with House Autry Chicken Breader.
Then fry.

Mustard fried venison, works well with duck breast also.

Serve with rice and gravy.

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm
MMT Pro Member

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 am
MMT Pro Member

Your recipe says tenderloins- your note at bottom says back straps- which was it???

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:26 am
MMT Pro Member

either one will work i have cooked both the same way

Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:11 am
MMT Pro Member

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:40 pm
MMT F.E.

that's it exactly, Cash. Nice going. I know that you enjoyed it...

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]