It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Reserves 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Reserves
Hey guys. Ive been trying to convince my wife to let me join the military for the past few years. I think i finally have her ok with the reserves. She knows that I still be deployed but we wont have to move away from our families. We just had our first child a month ago and we dont want to take him away from his family.
My question is, I am not 100% sure on wich branch would be better for a reservist. I actually havent nailed down what MOS i want but dont want any bull shit assignments. Infantry would be fun i think. Im between the Marines and the Army. I have lots of family that are Army so it would be nice to share that with them. But marines seem more like a solid choice for running a gun. If i was deployed, i would want to be with the best.

I guess Im really wanting opinions and to hear some past experiences.
And i know i should talk to a recruiter, but i want some real world opinions first, not someone who will tell me what i want to hear just to get a check...

Thanks for help in this big decision.
Josh

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:18 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Reserves
Not 100% sure, but I don't believe army reserves has any combat units just combat support. National guard and marine reserves would be your options if combat arms is what you want. However if you go guard the state usually does not want to release you until after you ets if you ever decide you want to go active duty. With the reserves it is easy to swap over to active duty. Also if you go combat arms make sure to go mechanized and not light.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Why would you recommend mechanized over light?
The army reserve site has combat infantryman listed as an option.
Thanks for the help QC

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:33 pm
MMT Elite Member

Doesn't the marine reserve unit by you have LAV's

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:31 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Not sure. I just want to do something productive. I dont really want to sit back and scrub dishes or some shit

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:42 pm
MMT Elite Member

Ask about a lav or tank mechanic. The reserve unit near you has both I believe. Learn a trade. Regardless what job you do, you will be doing some dumbshit all the time. Like sweeping a parking lot during a sandstorm. My gunny told me a glow plug on a diesel was the equivalent to a spark plug on a gas engine. I then called him a fucking retard. And that's how you get to sweep parking lots in sand storms

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:52 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Josh,

I applaud your effort to serve. I am a field grade infantry officer, (Lieutenant Colonel) with 25 years of service (both enlisted and officer) and am still serving. I started my career in the 75th Ranger Regiment.

I would check the various National Guard units in your state, and see where the combat arms units are. I think, you would enjoy infantry, field artillery, or perhaps even MP. See what units are around, and how far you are willing to drive.

The National Guard today, is not what it was 10 or 15 years ago. They are much closer to active duty in professionalism and ability to fight and complete missions. As a hobby, I do competitive shooting, and every year, I compete in the All Army matches at Fort Benning. Many of the top shooters in our Army are in the National Guard. There is a National Guard sniper school in Arkansas, and they have a competitive shooting team (not sure what state you are in).

Not sure if I was any help, but feel free to shoot me any questions. If I do not have an answer, I can assure you that I will find you one.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

i was in the marine reserves for eight years, infantry 0311(rifleman) and 0341(mortarman). one tour in iraq. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:15 am
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:28 pm
MMT Pro Member

ranger reading your posts i had you figured for a crusty old E-9 and then you go and tell me your an officer what is this world comin to

and to the OP the marine Infantry is not really any different than the Army except that the marines are retarded lol, but seriously they both offer some good training but i know from experience in the army its sometimes hard to come by atleast when your an Infantryman stuck in POG heaven(Ft. Hood), also id second picking somthing that gives you a trade unless you already have one cause the Infantry doesnt offer a lot in the way of civilian job training

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Barnes - very relevant comments. I did battalion police call for six months once for a similar incidence

Duckdawg- I started out enlisted, and was a NCO prior to getting the Green to Gold Scholarship. I consider your comment a compliment.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 am
MMT 1000 Club

Look up the Navy Seabees. Construction battalions. Can
Learn a great trade and deployments are there if you want. Good advance my in the Reserves.

dillakilla12 wrote:

I just passed out bc of the blood rush to my penis! Where the fugg can I get a transom like that!?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:44 pm
MMT Addict

I did Communications for 10 plus years with the National Guard.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 pm
MMT Pro Member

I did 13 yrs active duty Navy. During my time i did alot of differant jobs and trained alot of reservists. I would look into something you would enjoy doinig. My most enjoyable job was doing 2 tours with Joint Task Force out of CILHI in HI. We went to Vietnam and did search and recovery missions looking for remains of MIA's at differant crash sights. Out of that we did 4 Repatriations and brought closure to 4 families. I guess what I am trying to say is militay life can be very rewarding. Good luck in your future adventures.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:22 am
MMT 1000 Club

B. MacDonald

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:12 pm
MMT Elite Member

National Guard and Reserve Units seem to deploy, even long term, almost as much as active duty from what I see here locally. So be prepaired for that if you decide to go ahead with it. Its definately not just 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks out of the year. Even stateside deployments to fill in shortage areas for deployed personel.

"I do think there is a Squatch in these woods"!!!!!

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:55 am
MMT Pro Member

I just retired after thirty years (14 in the reserves). I deployed all over the world, but I liked deploying.

Grew up in the military, got a education, was enlisted for a few years, finished up college and became a officer, went to graduate school, worked, lived and hunted and fished all over the USA and the World.

The military life is a great life, but it's not for everyone.

The recruiters will give you their overview, and what they are willing to offer you, but you got to sign on the dotted line.

So think about what you are looking for and talk it over with your family and take your ASVAB and get your meetings with some different recruiters.

You can serve your country and have some opportunities for promotion and adventure.

You shoot me a PM if you want to ask my opion about something specific, but remember don't sign a conract- unless you realize exactly what you are getting into.

Remember that even in the reserves of the Army, Navy or Marine Corps you could be deployed. Even the USCG is unique and different but all have their unique aspects and mission focus. SEEBEEs are unique, and different from Navy Air or Ships, or SpecOps. Depends on what you want to do and where you affilliate.

You will of course have to go off to a number weeks of basic training, and depending on your contract you will go to some or a series of specialized school before headed home to your reserve command.

USCG has a reserves, and and you can learn a good trade like diesel engines repair, or USMCR is vastly different mission with local units that are focused on Infantry, or AAV, Tanks, Transportation, as does the National Guard, or the Army Reserves, or Air National Guard which have different focus and missions.

Hope this reply is helpful to you.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

I would like to thank all the guys on here who served. I was raised in a military family. My dad has over 26 years and I respect all that he and you all did for us.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]