It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 July 2, 1863, Gettysburg 
MMT 1000 Club

Post July 2, 1863, Gettysburg
With leveled bayonets and at maximum forward speed, 262 Minnesotans of the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry attacked 1,600 Alabamians on this day - July 2, 1863, at Gettysburg. Their Commander Colonel Colvill and the eight companies of the First Minnesota are entitled to rank as the saviors of our country, as their gallantry turned another certain route of the Union Army into victory.

The 82 percent casualty rate of the 1st Minnesota stands to this day as the largest loss by any surviving military unit in U.S. history during a single day's engagement, their heroism not only stopped the enemy assault but bought the time needed to bring up reinforcements securing victory for the Union forces.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:04 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Re: July 2, 1863, Gettysburg

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

You yankees had gallant soldiers for sure. I honor them as much as I honor our own southern troops. We were brothers in a bloody fight against each other. I have a lot of mixed feelings about that war and what it meant.

First, we should have never created a market or brought people here against their will. It was wrong and created so many problems. And we are still paying for it today. And both the north and the south were complicit in it. Northern ships, northern money brought the slaves to work on Southern plantations. All wrong.

It was a different time back then, more rough and violent to others. If you read about the raiders in the Missouri, Kansas part of the country.

But this war pushed down the states being independent coming together to be united. It made the federal government all too powerful which we are paying for today. Lincoln was not an enemy of the south--he loved all of america, but what happened after he died and the war, sure made it feel like he was the enemy. And the federal government becoming too powerful was through him first. He is one to be admired for his strength of character.

Hats off to all the Northern and Southern troops that fought in that war. They all fought for what they believed in. And you have to honor those that will leave their homes, put their treasure and lives on the line for that. I have to say though, I still look at it as the "war of northern aggression" :)

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 am
MMT 1000 Club

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 am
MMT Sponsor

Hope its not the bloody in the next one!!!! ;)

gatorheads@comcast.net

Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:51 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:13 am
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:16 am
MMT F.E.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]