for the last forty some years.
A clunker that travels 12,000 miles a year at 15 mpg uses 800
gallons of gas a year.

A vehicle that travels 12,000 miles a year at 25 mpg uses 480
gallons of gas a year.

So, the average Cash for Clunkers transaction will reduce gasoline
consumption by 320 gallons per year.

The government claims 700,000 clunkers have been replaced so
that's 224 million gallons saved per year.

That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil. 5 million
barrels is about 5 hours worth of US consumption.

More importantly, 5 million barrels of oil at $70 per barrel
costs about $350 million dollars.

So, the government paid $3 billion of our tax dollars to save
$350 million.

We spent $8.57 for every $1.00 we saved.

I'm pretty sure they will do a better job with our health care,
though.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:49 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Cash for Clunkers
Great info.......

Black ops IITX marshstalker

1840 WC www.wccustomboats.com
fuel injected 25 GTR

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:26 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

Im guessing he is agreein wit you without sayin so :roll:

fuel injected 25 GTR

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Not really fair to post only part of the equation. When factoring the co2 reduction the program was a success. What may be even more important is the positive economic impact of purchasing all the new cars. Just saying...

My post got mixed up with the original post. This is what I replied.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 pm
MMT Addict

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/clunkers.asp

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:02 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Deuce, you beat me to it. I was gonna post the snopes link yesterday, but dicided to see who would start posting.

Dguidry, if we start cutting back on CO2, then what are we goinig to do when all the plants and trees die? Don't they use CO2 for photosynthesis?

Also, all the cash for clunkers did is put more bills on people who can't afford it.
The biggest sellers were full size pickups. Especially Fords F150. Also, why would you take a paid off vehicle that got 16mpg and trade it in to get a vehicle that gets 18mpg? In the end you gain 2mpg and a new note along with higher insurance.

Don't let the media fool you. Do your own investigations dude. Stop being a sheep. The internet is very powerfull in the right hands, use it. You may learn a thing or two.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Read this page on the psycology behind C for C.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Super Elite Member

My daughter has a BS in Engineering from Columbia University in the City of New York (no kidding, its real name) and a masters degree from Georgia Tech in renewable resources and does carbon analysis for credit swapping. She testifies before congressional committees on such things. She said it was marginally successful, but more importantly, the program set the standard for others like it to come. The program was by no means a failure which she defined as one that would have resulted in an overall negative impact. Trust me when I tell you that when an analysis is done by someone like her on a project like this, which is likely what would have happened, they think of all possible parameters to consider. The posts here have only touched the surface. I've read some of her stuff and I cannot understand a word of it.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

You can't understand it so you let them explain it to you. Which means they tell you what you NEED/WANT to know. Not what is right. :lol:

Just busting your chops, guidry. I understand what you are trying to do, but just like you we to have our views and on way of thinking. Do you actually think it will make that much difference if we cut back on a few thousand tons of CO2. Dude there are worse things than that. This earth that we are on, has been here for millions of years. Not like it never was put through something like this.
Why would cars be the only issue. I see trees/forest/woods destructed everyday, for more house and businesses. Do you not think that getting rid of trees that take in CO2 and give off O2 is hurt also. Why not put a stop to all that.

Think of it like this, we've been fed so much bullshit in the past, what makes the gov't think we'll believe them now? Just because of Obama? Oh please. He's out for his own fortunes and don't give 2 squirts of piss about me or you. Actually none of the politicians do. If they did, they would volunteer their time for their country. And maybe, just maybe, listen to them.

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

Icelandic volcano erupts for a couple weeks and spews out more greenhouse gasses and particulates than mankind since their existance. I wanna buy a volcano and every year it doesn't erupt, I can sell the 20 billion carbon credits that I saved that year. I can't wait for inhofes book "the hoax" to come out. And for the oceans to be flooded with fresh water from glacial melt....think of the wetlands...i'll let my diesel excursion idle another hour a day to speed up this.wonderous transformation.

fuel injected 25 GTR

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 am
MMT Elite Member

Just think if all those libs offed themselves how much less co2 would be released into the environment from their lungs...such an evil gas....but it sure does make my maters grow well.

fuel injected 25 GTR

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:31 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:49 am
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

I just cut down 20 yr old pines...sell em and plant new ones....the new growth pines absorb tons of co2 in their initial 12 yrs of growth, after that they slow a whole lot.....See cuttin down old growth forests and then replanting is good for the environment. This whole al Gore carbon credits thing is really a way for him to get richer on a hoax. He is buying and selling something that does not exist. I am going to start oxygen credits to off set carbon credits. That way I get paid for the co2 my trees capture and the oxygen they release into the atmosphere also. Hehe scammin the american people is fun and profitable too. You guys are gonna owe me big...i'll put up my trees to offset the co2 produced on the setx mud run. 20 bucks a boat should cover the work my trees will have to do to capture your co2 and Ill throw the conversion back to oxygen in free. :shock:

fuel injected 25 GTR

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]