It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Panhandling Scammers with Cardboard Signs. 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Panhandling Scammers with Cardboard Signs.
My 16 year old daughter is fresh back from a missionary trip to Mexico with our church.

A few days ago we ran to the Wal-Mart in Fayetteville, Arkansas. As we were leaving my daughter told my wife and I to look over at a couple holding up cardboard signs asking for money.

My daughter pointed out that the woman was wearing new looking Skechers shoes, new blue jeans, and had a modern hair style complete with highlights, and that both looked slightly overweight. My daughter claimed that when she was in Mexico, she saw real poor people, and that the folks with the signs are not poor.

I appreciated her candor and her attention to detail in what she saw.

Not sure about where you all live, but in my neck of the woods, these folks are on every corner in the nicest parts of town. I believe in charity and helping those in need, but I get the feeling that 99% of these folks are all running a scam.

The ones holding signs that state they are veterans piss me off the most. Veterans ought to be giving to society, not taking. I also get hot under the collar when you see younger men that look perfectly able to actually be out working. I am 49 and a bit beat up from 29 years of service, and I just recently worked construction for 6 months while I transitioned out of the military. If need be, I will go back to doing sheet rock, painting houses, framing, or any manner of hard work before I stand on a street corner with a flipping sign begging for money.

I understand that the courts view it as a expression of free speech, but it makes our town look like crap.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:59 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Panhandling Scammers with Cardboard Signs.
Glad your daughter noticed it.
Of course some people are dealt a shitty hand in life, but IMO, your only homeless if you choose to be homeless.

If you haven't seen this, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j2YMWTBGl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvkZ-gzcaLs

Its crap mostly IMO.

On ONE occasion recently, my wife noticed a guy outside a fast food restaurant. I told her to forget about it, but she insisted on buying him food and not giving money. She gave him the food and he truly acted Grateful.
Was he really grateful? I don't know. But I rarely give anyone anything just cause.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:45 pm
MMT 1000 Club

A few years back I was out at Fort Lewis in the summer running tactical training. I was with a fellow LTC that I had instructed with at West Point. We went to lunch and as we pulled into the parking lot of a Subway restaurant in Tacoma, WA, he saw a hippie looking couple sitting on the curb. He asked me "as Christians, how should we handle it if they ask us for money"?

I told him to watch and see. As we stopped, I reached in the back of my truck and pulled out a large trash bag. Sure as anything, they started heading our way. Before they could speak, I asked them if they wanted something to eat. Both said "yes". I reached out with the trash bag, and said "this parking lot has a bunch of paper laying around. Pick it up, put it in this bag, and I will buy your both a combo meal and something to drink".

Those two hippies cussed me and called me everything but a white man. They even followed us into the restaurant to where the workers called the law on them.

My buddy was pretty shocked at their reaction to being told they would have to do work to actually eat. I work for my pay, I expect others to do the same. There are people that have circumstances that prevent them from working. We live in a nation that takes care of such people.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:12 am
MMT Pro Member

Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:45 am
MMT 1000 Club

I had a young man in Columbus, GA pick all the trash up at a McDonalds parking lot for a value meal. I gave him a few dollars to boot.

If you ever want to royally mess up a panhandler, wait till they are just about to speak, and before they ask you for money quickly ask them for a dollar. I did that in Grand Central Station in NY City.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:41 pm
MMT F.E.

Glad ya'll can be so nice to these "panhandlers". I offered one $50 if he would come mow my yard, using my mower and weedeater, he actually told me to go have sex with myself!!!! It was all I could do not to kick him in the nuts and meet his face with my knee as he bent over in pain. For some reason(the last 8+ yrs. of political environment) when I see them now all I can think is the liberal "id10t" snowsflakes and the government program leechers.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 am
MMT Pro Member

I nearly got in a fist fight with a "homeless" man begging for money when I worked in downtown Fort Worth because I told him I would buy him lunch. The thing was, he was way too "clean" to have been homeless for more than a few hours.

There is a lady on my exit going home that tells everyone via cardboard sign that she's ex military and homeless, I snapped a picture of her everyday for 2 weeks and printed them out for her, she never wore the same outfit twice in that time. When I handed her the pictures, she promptly walked away. It took me a week to find her at another exit. I finally found where she and her husband parked, local Home Depot, and they would strike out in different directions to work the corners. They had a fairly late 2000s Nissan Sentra. It pisses me off because they are obviously not homeless and working the public. The local PD is not willing to do anything until the city passes an ordinance, but they are looking into using the stolen Valor act against her if they can prove she is actually not ex military.

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:10 am
MMT 1000 Club

If you want to make some real bank, get a cute puppy and put a little rope on him and make sure he is visible with you at all times while panhandling. A little kid with some dirt rubbed on them cant hurt either. Make sure that on your cardboard you put something about being former military and say God Bless You at the end. Try to put away those Marlboro's cause they make you look rich. Oh and drink water out of an old jug, not a fresh looking bottle or a Yeti cup.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:21 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 pm
MMT Sponsor

gatorheads@comcast.net

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Sponsor

As a young man and a painting contractor I was doing pretty good , so every Christmas I would get a bunch of meal cents from McDonalds and give them to the guys who sold news papers on the corners in broward county (they were homeless) .sure as shit one of them would end up with all the meal tickets and the rest would be drunk. I would buy my paper from that guy until the next one stepped up lol. As time went on I started hunting pedofiles and found many were homeless and a huge amount of homeless were peds and want to be homeless . I got nothing for any of them anymore. If someone wants help there is plenty in this great nation, the rest can piss off.

gatorheads@comcast.net

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Here she is back on the job on her "corner"

She looked down when she saw my phone go up, I guess the bright neon green case was a giveaway.

Clean capri pants, clean looking sneakers, looked like Asics brand

1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs W/ 12hp Copperhead

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:33 am
MMT Sponsor

gatorheads@comcast.net

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:12 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 pm
MMT 1000 Club

How do so many homeless people afford expensive tatooes?

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 pm
MMT Pro Member

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:30 pm
MMT 1000 Club

:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]