It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 My 7 year olds first Turkey 
MMT 1000 Club

Post My 7 year olds first Turkey

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:45 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: My 7 year olds first Turkey
Looks like he did real good for himself. Youth season opens this weekend here and I'll be taking my friends son on his first turkey hunt as his dad has never been himself. Get em young and they have something to enjoy for a lifetime.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 pm
MMT 1000 Club

AWESOME.... Bet that beats any turkey you shot simply cuz its your kid!!!

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Our youth season was 2 weeks ago for my area, but had to go to my sister-in-laws wedding.

I've personally harvested bigger, but this particular bird made my heart pound more than any of those. Especially when the bird stopped under the tree we sat under the day before, then moved back into the swamp. This bird was hot though and gobbled at every sound I made. The last 100 yards I called him in by just making hen yelps and purrs with my mouth (no calls). I thought the bird was going to end up in our lap. My heart really skipped a beat when Kyle said "Dad you shoot it...I can't". I told him it was his bird to either shoot or pass on, then he squirmed around a bit and put the bird on the ground. Come to find out I had his jacket in a bind and he could only reach and operate the safety, but could not get his finger to the trigger (hence the squirming). After the bird was down he was dancing around hooping and hollering and he asked me why he was shaking all over if he wasn't cold (his first adrenaline rush I suppose).

Later that evening he was moping around the house, so my wife asked him if he was sad. He replied with " No mom... I'm just bored because now I have to go to school and I can't turkey hunt tomorrow". He is into watching turkey hunting DVD's now as he winds down for bedtime. This has turned into a father/son camping event that me and some friends started doing last year. Many of my other friends asked if I was able to harvest a bird, I just told them I wasn't hunting... it is all about the kids.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]