It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Floatation on a Mud Boat 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Floatation on a Mud Boat
None of what he was charged with would've been avoided with flotation that functioned in that "boat." He didn't force them to wear personal flotation devices and he CHOSE to go out in the wrong wether for the capabilities and shortcomings of that specific craft. Choice and decision. That thing should not have been out in those conditions at all. Go look at the weather conditions on that day and the wave heights. Flotation or not, someone wasn't gonna make it unless they were all on shore or in good life jackets and off that craft.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:20 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Gigafowl wrote:
Captain Indicted.... Faces 170 years in prison...

Kenneth Scott McKee was indicted Thursday in connection with the tragic duck boat sinking that killed 17 people, including nine members of one family.

Prosecutors said McKee did not properly assess the weather that fateful day in July -- before or after the boat went into the water. McKee also allegedly failed to tell passengers to put on their flotation devices or prepare them to abandon ship after two separate alarms sounded.

The captain was charged with 17 counts of misconduct and negligence or inattention to duty by a ship’s officer resulting in death, according to the indictment. He faces up to 10 years in prison on each count.

I want to know how 17 people fit in a duck boat anyway...... :?

whatever

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:28 am
MMT 1000 Club

Google it, Bryce.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:07 am
MMT Elite Member

Giga is now trying to mince duck mud boats with tourist duck boats that operate on land and sea.

This dude’s logic never ceases to amaze me.

Backwater Performance Systems
Swamp Staff

WhoDat88 wrote:
Just think how much better MMT would be with out Dean as a member.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:57 am
MMT Elite Member

BlueShamu wrote:
Giga is now trying to mince duck mud boats with tourist duck boats that operate on land and sea.

This dude’s logic never ceases to amaze me.

Simply a "cut and paste" - no editorialism...

That vessel had PFDs - but no one was wearing them !

Just like most boats I see pulling away from the docks each morning
before dawn heading out into the fog and rain...

Seems just having PFDs onboard does not prevent prosecution
of an owner or operator - especially one where the owner runs
an unsafe and untested hull with no USCG floataion...

Editorial inserted - enjoy !

Another "cut and paste"

Contributing to the sinking was a flaw in the design of DUKWs as converted for passenger service,
that is, the lack of adequate reserve buoyancy that would have allowed the vehicle to remain
afloat in a flooded condition.

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:11 pm
MMT Addict

Who fucking cares. This is a stupid conversation and stupid topic and you will not get off of it. You equate people wearing or not wearing life jackets as the same thing as flotation in a boat, contradicting your previous statements. Just stop. You are beating a dead horse and it is irritating, bruh

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:21 pm
MMT Elite Member

17 people died as a result of the combination of no PFD and no floatation....

If that irritates you - then good - it should....

My point all along has been that lack of floatation is a contributing factor
in boating deaths ! ! !

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:07 pm
MMT Addict

No, you irritate me. You just won't stop with your flotation rhetoric.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:26 pm
MMT Elite Member

Wchauvin wrote:
No, you irritate me. You just won't stop with your flotation rhetoric.

Because it is NOT okay to promote the use of these non floation hulls for recreational use - IMO

It contributes to boating deaths with women and children the most at risk... Not to mention
unsuspecting friends who place themselves in harms way potentially unaware the hull has
no floatation and will sink like a stone when swamped....

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:50 pm
MMT Elite Member

Unfreakenbelievable.

Swamp Staff

WhoDat88 wrote:

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:33 pm
MMT Addict

You should stop talking, I killed some green wing teal yesterday and today, sucka lol

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:48 pm
MMT Elite Member

Incredibly sad news - prayers to a grieving family...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:40 am
MMT 1000 Club

Gigafowl wrote:
Incredibly sad news - prayers to a grieving family...

Why are people trying to cross the River with 3-4' rollers with a north blind blowing like a bag of queers?
Once again, this is not a flotation issue. This is a bad judgement and lack of experience on the driver of the boat.

Flotation in the boat wouldn't save a damn thing in 3-4' rollers in the river... Just wont happen.

whatever

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 am
MMT Elite Member

brycecheramie wrote:

Why are people trying to cross the River with 3-4' rollers with a north blind blowing like a bag of queers?
Once again, this is not a flotation issue. This is a bad judgement and lack of experience on the driver of the boat.

Flotation in the boat wouldn't save a damn thing in 3-4' rollers in the river... Just wont happen.

Not true - one big difference is that the hull would have stayed at the surface giving them
a chance to put on the PFDs they should have been wearing all along... Also it may have
given them the option to stay with the boat and wait for help to come instead of only having
the one option of swimming for shore.... Sadly the man lost was only 27 years old and I have
no idea of the details - but initial reports seem to indicate they hit the water suddenly with
little warning...

Either way even the survivors will carry this sorrow with them for the rest of their lives....

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:37 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Gigafowl wrote:
brycecheramie wrote:

Not true - one big difference is that the hull would have stayed at the surface giving them
a chance to put on the PFDs they should have been wearing all along... Also it may have
given them the option to stay with the boat and wait for help to come instead of only having
the one option of swimming for shore.... Sadly the man lost was only 27 years old and I have
no idea of the details - but initial reports seem to indicate they hit the water suddenly with
little warning...

Either way even the survivors will carry this sorrow with them for the rest of their lives....

Giga, I still call bullshit.
You take a small duck boat, with foam, and put it in the Mississippi River with 3-4' rollers and current and all the other factors, and that foam filled boat will not help you 1 bit. Not even in the slightest.
I don't care what you think or say, honestly

whatever

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:41 pm
MMT Elite Member

To get a USCG certification - the hull must be capable of staying at the surface with
a full maximum load...

Perhaps just some floatation is what you are referring to - but USCG certified floatation
is what I am advocating as a minimum standard in a recreational class boating use...

It would have stayed at the surface giving them something to hold onto and may well
have offered them the chance to find their stowed PFDs that they should have put
on before leaving the dock...

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Those fellas made some real bad decisions. First off, there were local hunters waiting on day light and they advised them to wait as well. They went into the river, took on water, made it back into the safe spot then bailed the boat out and went back into the river and that was it. It happens every year. Can’t fix stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:27 pm
MMT Elite Member

Heard they were in a POS go-devil hull with water logged floatation.

Swamp Staff

WhoDat88 wrote:

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:48 pm
MMT Addict

I heard that too blueshamu

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

natural selection is a mofo, but it is designed so the top of the gene pool may live long enough to reproduce for the good of the herd. u go play in the river with a toy boat, u drown.

do not eat stickers on mattresses and flotation in mud boats just screws up and dilutes the gene pool even further.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:42 pm
MMT Elite Member

dead animal wrote:
natural selection is a mofo, but it is designed so the top of the gene pool may live long enough to reproduce for the good of the herd. u go play in the river with a toy boat, u drown.

do not eat stickers on mattresses and flotation in mud boats just screws up and dilutes the gene pool even further.

Your compassion for your fellow man tells me we come from different places
and are heading to different destinations....

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:28 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Gigafowl wrote:
dead animal wrote:

Your compassion for your fellow man tells me we come from different places
and are heading to different destinations....

Its fairly obvious you two come from different places. You come from a different place than most people.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:02 pm
MMT 1000 Club

i'd have more compassion for you Gia, if you weren't trying to screw all of us out of a lot of money. it's all about you trying to get your brother in law who builds only flotation boats more work while screwing ordinary, God-fearing folks out of money by not letting them get a boat made by competent boat builders who don't give you a kickback.

you my friend, will be burning right next to me, maybe even worse than me. I just can't stand dumb people, you are doing it for money.

and... somebody from texas trying to tell everybody what to do with a mudboat is almost as bad as somebody from Utah doing the same thing. worry about people in your own area/state.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:25 am
MMT Addict

dead animal wrote:
i'd have more compassion for you Gia, if you weren't trying to screw all of us out of a lot of money. it's all about you trying to get your brother in law who builds only flotation boats more work while screwing ordinary, God-fearing folks out of money by not letting them get a boat made by competent boat builders who don't give you a kickback.

you my friend, will be burning right next to me, maybe even worse than me. I just can't stand dumb people, you are doing it for money.

and... somebody from texas trying to tell everybody what to do with a mudboat is almost as bad as somebody from Utah doing the same thing. worry about people in your own area/state.

Bro went savage on you, greenwing teal. Dude hitting you with them facts. Better get your mind right giga

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 am
MMT Elite Member

dead animal wrote:

Nobody cares what you do or what your cousin does with you....

I got lots of LA cousins... LOL... Heck WChauvin and I are likely 3rd cousins...

But when guys tell others to cut floatation out of a USCG certified hull or tell them
they dont need USCG floatation thay are gonna get a post back from those like me
that say we have seen enough funerals among our duck hunting brothers,,,

Peace !

Or get yourself another brew !

But dont tell the newbies they should buy an illegal hull and take their wives and kids
out into the swamps !

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:08 pm
MMT Addict

I think the point some are making is this. No one is saying "cut flotation out of boats cause we want to make them illegal" but "I'm getting a custom boat built by a buddy and it has no flotation". Most of our boats have no flotation but we arnt trying to sell them past state lines, etc. in my boat, we all wear our life jackets before leaving the launch, and I wear my kill switch. If the boat goes down, I have insurance on it, and I shouldn't have to worry about anyone in my boat because everyone has their lifejacket on before leaving the launch

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The problem isn't flotation or not, it's decision making. Not wearing your life jacket? Decision. Going out on the river in bad conditions? Decision. The list goes on and on. The only times I've ever personally fished someone out of the water has been due to a decision they've made to be in conditions that weren't good enough to be out in their particular boat or we're operating unsafely (and by unsafe, I mean in a manner that doesn't put the boat in a position to need flotation to prevent sinking).

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4