It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 tmt boats - bankrupt? 
MMT Member

Post tmt boats - bankrupt?
Hey guys, new to the site. I have been looking at buying a new boat for a while now and cant decide. I was looking at the tmt phowler boat and saw on ebay that someone was selling auctioned tmt boats. The seller said he bought them at a bankruptcy auction. I called a buddy and he had heard tmt went bankrupt. If this is the case, what kind of boat should i get? I was also looking at the Pro dive boats and the Gator-Tails. Any help is appreciated.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: tmt boats - bankrupt?
Welcome to the site. Muddoctor on here owns Phowler. He will probably be the best source on what happened to them. Cutt down, a moderator, on here also may have some info to help you out. I am sure they will chime in. PD and GT are great folks to deal with and as well as others on here. Look around on here as there are several great boat manufacturers. Aucion and Brother Breaux are some custom boat fabricators as well that have nice boats.

A$$, Ca$h, or Ga$ -- NO FREE RIDES!!

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

You may want to check a little deeper into registering the TMT hull. I do not think you will get a title with these hulls. And the word on the street is that you will have to register it as a "home made" hull. Which could be a headach depending on what state you are in. Just some extra food for thought.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:01 am
MMT Sponsor

TMT was our contractor for welding up the raw hulls for over a year. We set them up with the boat design and process. We had some issues with a few boats they built, but overall they did a very good job for us. We chose to end our relationship with TMT last June as they were in deepening financial trouble (not related to the boat building, but in relation to some of their other machining business from our best assessment). At that point, TMT tried to continue building our design without our permission. There is pending litigation regarding this issue, however it will be a none issue as they are now out of business.

We have continued to build the Phowler Series hull ourselves with the assistance of a very good local welding contractor that we set up with the design and jigs.

The hulls that are being sold on ebay are hulls that were auctioned by TMT's bank. We inspected all these boats before the auction. My only advice is "buyer beware" on the auctioned hulls. From our assessment some of these hulls we would have classified as 2nds, a few were pretty flawed in our opinion and one was a boat we completely rejected and would not take. The paint was not done by us, not sure who did the paint or if they followed our proceedures, but it is a different finish then we use. These hulls have no warranty and it is still not clear if the proper paperwork was ever filed with the coast guard on the hulls.

Again, someone might pick up a bargin on one of these hulls, we were not willing to bid more then 30-40% on them ourselves as we would have only sold them as what we believed they were, 2nd quality boats compared to our production hulls.

In short, Phowler Boats is still here, building boats and going strong. We will continue to stand behind the boats we sold, and continue to sell, with full warranty.

PW

1701 Main Avenue, Clinton, Iowa 52732
563-242-8969 or cell 563-212-7091
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

http://www.larrysillowamarine.com

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:09 am
MMT 1000 Club

Location: Unaffiliated, SETX group has caused me to renounce my Texas Citizenship
Wheeeewwww

That's a relief.

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 am
MMT 1000 Club

MudDoctors ~ I have querston !! In yore opinion .... what would constitute a freshley built boathull to be classified a 2nd ??

Next querston ~ Are you MMT sponseres able to partake in the MMT TalkRadio call in on Wednesday nites ?? I would like to hear from some of you fellers !!!

Hey MMT ~ How 'bout it ?? Mabe make part of yore TalkRadio just for the Dealers and Manufactors !!!!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 pm
MMT Sponsor

1701 Main Avenue, Clinton, Iowa 52732
563-242-8969 or cell 563-212-7091
email: larrys-prodrive@mchsi.com

http://www.larrysillowamarine.com

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks fo the reply MudDoctors !!! I reckon in all manufactures ... diffently in boathulls ..... some of 'em just come out better than the others !!! I thanks I even noticed it on fiberglass boathulls .... some just sit in the water better !!! Dangest thang !!! Thay be comin' from the same shop and everythang ..... and some of 'em just comes out mo'better !!

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:34 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Location: Unaffiliated, SETX group has caused me to renounce my Texas Citizenship

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]