It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Questions about 2013 GTR 

Post Questions about 2013 GTR
Quick few questions for a 13 gtr. I've never owned a surface drive but I've used a few. This one has 180 hours and the only thing it's had done is a new carb from gtr. He says he's kept up with maintenance oil grease etc. just looking for things known that they have issues with. Going look at it this weekend. It looks good from pics. Always been an outboard guy but I figured it's time to switch and I've always heard these 35s are good motors. Thanks in advance.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:16 pm
MMT Addict

Post Re: Questions about 2013 GTR
I have no first hand experience with the 2013 model... BUT I do have a 100% stock 2007 model that runs great. I've always maintained it as directed by the instruction manual and other tips I've picked up on this site.

I think 180 hours is nothing and it basically just broken in now. I'd check the oil and look carefully for any metal. I'd look at the lower unit to see if there is any noticeable damage taking something out of alignment. I'd shift it in and out of F-R and run it at WOT to see if you can tell of any vibration. Look to see what WOT RPMs are. Play with the choke a little. Does it go in and out of reverse easily. Is there fluid in the reverse line cylinder. I'd look for a worn prop, since you'll need to get it worked or buy a new one. Does it look like there has been a lot of work done to it? Is the muffler rusted out or close to it? Are the muffler brackets in good shape. Is the air filter dirty? Is there oil in the clutch? Does it backfire when you let completely off at WOT? I'd pull the prop off and look at the seal. Look at the fuel filter.

Some of these are just indicators to see what has been done to the motor or how it has been handled. Some are just for curiosity. Some are important. Just my 2 cents, but I'm not an expert.

The 35s are good, but it isn't an outboard for sure.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]