It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Pirogue Advise 
MMT Pro Member

Post Pirogue Advise
Never had one wanting to get one who makes best ones ? Better have fiberglass or aluminum ? Seen some gator Trax makes didn’t know how people liked them if anyone had one like know what they think

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Pirogue Advise
I have three bro, one of them is a 10 footer and the other two are 14 footers. One of them has a rounded side like a round chime boat and the others are flat bottom and straight sides. I find that the rounded sided one is much more stable in the water as opposed to the other two. Also, get you at least a 12 or 14 footer because they are more stable in the water and much easier with 2 people and a few decoys. All of my pirogues are fiberglass but I've always wanted an aluminum one. The aluminum ones are heavier but last a lifetime. Where are you located out of? I got a guy in breaux bridge that can build you an aluminum pirogue for fairly cheap and it will last generations

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am
MMT F.E.

Post Pirogue Advise
I have 14’ pirogues. Flat bottom. 2 people and gear no issues.
Rounded bottom is probably nice but I prefer the flat bottom because I have to stand up and push pole sometimes. Go with fiberglass, I feel like aluminum would be loud and heavy.
I also prefer ones that do not have a rake or a bow. Mines flat from one end to the other.
Ron Chapman’s are well known in south la.
Bayou Fiberglass/ Lifetime pirogues are very nice too. They have the rolled edges on top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:13 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yeah I agree, mine have no rake either and I like them better with no rake as well

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:03 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thanks for advice probly just be single person one to get ducks from at my blind so ain’t gota get boat out I’m from west Tn we ain’t got many around here so didn’t know much bout them like idea of aluminum cause sets out in weather all time not gonna be carrying it in and out

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

look in the sportsman, or google parish pirouges. wooden and not too expensive.

I;ve had several pirogues over the years and prefer a wooden bateau styled boat, but that's me.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:44 pm
MMT Member

A plastic Kayak would do all you need
Aluminum would be a lot tougher but cost 2-3 times more

Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]