It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New motor recs? 
MMT Pro Member

Post New motor recs?
Posted this over in the Review forum but it'll probably get axed cuz it's not a review.

I'm back in the MM marketplace after a move and change in hunting conditions and I don't have any of the major company dealers within a few hundred miles to even test drive or compare them. I'm probably gonna have to buy one sight unseen and have it freighted. The outboard I'm running now just won't cut it in the new location. I've read most of the recent threads and reviews on here but am curious now that guys have had their motors a little longer what your impressions are. I know this site in the past has been somewhat anti-MB but I think their technology and CS have improved over the years and they might have more to offer now. My application here will be running shallow river with heavy grass in many locations. I definitely need Reverse and EFI. Minimal speed differences won't matter that much as I don't have long runs but load carrying is important. What do you guys think about your motors, especially those of you who have run some different mfrs for comparison?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: New motor recs?
i'm a prodrive guy, but if that isn't your thing I would get whatever has the closest service center because they all need parts from time to time. good luck!!

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:35 pm
MMT Pro Member

That's the problem. None of them have service centers close by. Closest will be MB in UT which is why I'm considering them even though I too was a PD guy in the past.

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:24 am
MMT F.E.

If you are halfway handy, or can at least figure out how to write questions on here above a 5th grade level, you can learn to fix most anything on any of these motors. I have a gatortail. Half the time it’s what I need, the other half, a prodrive would do better. I’d go with either of those, but it’s also what I’m most comfortable with.

Bang for the buck though, I’m a fan of buying used, and then replacing the powerhead when it blows. The price on a new surface drive is insane these days, and the bulls are the only thing outpacing them in cost insanity. The quality hasn’t increased to match the cost on hulls or frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:20 pm
MMT Pro Member

Agreed. My only reason for wishing for a close repair facility is in case I had Warranty issues that needed an authorized service center/dealer. What are the limitations your Gatortail has the PD would be better in?

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 am
MMT F.E.

Post New motor recs?
Backing out of thick veggies. I have a few blinds that are in thick veggies and it would help there (though not a make or break requirement). Full powered reverse would be great for me once in a while. The rest of the time, instant reverse is better for me.

Plus I’m also the weird one in that I do not want electric reverse like on the newer SD models. One more clutch to deal with. I have the gen 3 (I think) reverse on my GT. Works great and is more reliable than another switch and more wires.

It’s interesting to watch the big players. They move one step forward and 2 back. Gatortail went back to the old machined lowers, and are now offering the older tiller handles with the control box. Why? Because it worked well. Keep it simple and proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:27 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I’ve had them all and I will never run nothing but a Gatortail and second would be Mudbuddy!!good luck

Hoyt Mods and some other goodies

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:02 am
MMT Pro Member

Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I was leaning toward Gatortail as well at this point but MB has a dealer that is closer to me and I could likely test-drive one, whereas I'd be buying the GT sight unseen and having it freighted and installed by a "non-dealer." That part always makes me a little nervous.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:20 am
MMT Pro Member

I have a friend that works for a lawn mower dealership and gets me parts for more all the time. Gatortail has good customer service for anything I have neeeded.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]