It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 4:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Two exhaust/muffler questions. 
MMT Pro Member

Location: Drive East until somebody gives you the finger, then drive five hours North.
Post Two exhaust/muffler questions.
First, I got my new stock muffler in this week, and am thinking about putting a few more coats of paint or something on it to protect it a little more from the mountains of road salt they use here from October through April. I remember somebody mentioning a better kind of high-temp paint than the rustoleum and krylon stuff. Anybody have any suggestions of what to use, and where to find it?

Secondly, my old muffler started cracking near the flange, so I am planning on welding it up when I replace it, but I'm also thinking of gutting it and keeping it as a spare, or possibly putting it back on and running it until the season starts. When people are gutting these, is there a better spot to cut it open to get all the stuff out? Anything I should know before starting it? Any tips?

Any help/advice/tips are appreciated.

"Once I ate leftover chinese that had been kept in an unsealed container and I experienced complete awareness."

Sat May 09, 2009 1:57 pm
MMT Addict

Post Re: Two exhaust/muffler questions.
stock bafles are known to rust and flakes of metal scoring your cylinders and ruining your engine. also, gutting it will give you better flow and a new sound.

Sat May 09, 2009 2:23 pm
MMT Pro Member

Location: Drive East until somebody gives you the finger, then drive five hours North.
That's what I was counting on.

A buddy of mine knows a guy who's getting into ceramic coatings for headers and such, anybody ever ceramic coat their exhaust?

"Once I ate leftover chinese that had been kept in an unsealed container and I experienced complete awareness."

Sat May 09, 2009 2:40 pm
MMT Addict

just buy a high flow stainless from mudbuddy or evt..

Sat May 09, 2009 4:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sat May 09, 2009 6:05 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 pm
MMT Elite Member

Your local napa hardware store will have high temp. spray paint that contains ceramic. I just did mine about 2 months ago. Its holding up better than anything else i have ever used.

Sun May 10, 2009 1:27 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sun May 10, 2009 1:31 pm
MMT Elite Member

Its called VHT flame proof. Its good for temps. ranging 1300-2000 degrees.

Sun May 10, 2009 1:36 pm
MMT Addict

That VHT is what I used on my 23. Held up pretty good. Make sure you follow the curing instructions. Ive used it on a truck too, if you dont cure it right, itll eventually burn off

1840 gator tail with 35GTR
15xx Bateau with 15 honda

Sun May 10, 2009 5:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

Any of the four brands of high temp paints I (and many others) tried only stay black if you don't run the engine. Ceramic coating doesn't work either (if ya need proof, I'm sure rail would post some pics). Run them stockers til the tubes get to brittle to keep welded up. Then, I'd recommend buying an exhaust thats already on the market, that comes with a good warranty.

Sun May 10, 2009 5:55 pm
MMT Pro Member

I've tried different types of high temp paint and had bad luck. Got it aluminum sprayed and is holding fine. Guy that did it sprayed his firebox on his BBQ pit and crawfish burner and it is still on.

The more you try to teach a stupid person something the dumber you get!!!

Mon May 11, 2009 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]