It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hoyt mods? 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Hoyt mods?
Just got done listening to last weeks episode of MMT Radio, and Hoyt mentioned using the governor with the stock carb and how it flows enough for 4400 rpm. I am wondering what spring he is using if other than stock in the governor linkage that would enable you to spin the motor at 4400 with a good/new prop somewhat submerged.

I basically have all the components, cam, headwork, and exhaust currently installed on my motor and unless I trim up to the point of excessive tiller torque and a drop in speed, the best running rpm is 3900 or so. This is with the out of water set at 4650 and a heavier 23 van spring that is zipped tied on a 36 PD.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:17 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Hoyt mods?
I wouldn't be concerned. All engines are different. I had my engine modded a while back with the same mods as you and my engine turns only turns 4150-4200 rpms. It's better on the engine to turn lower rpms anyway. But if you do figure out a way to make it turn more, let me know. Because i would turn it up a little more if i could. :) :) :)

Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:11 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Hoyt mods?
I run 4480-4500 RPM with my 35 trimmed in the sweet spot with the stock carb. This is with a 1:1.26 gear ratio. (38 top, 48 bottom)

Motor has EVT Headwork, old BPS exhaust, K&N air filter, carb spacer, some stock intake modifications. Stock carb has the throttle shafts thinned out a little. I also bumped up the stock jets a little to be safe- 150/148 in mine.

I use the Gov spring on the far right in the pic- the one MB uses on their 45's. Gives you alot of room to adjust. I ran for a long time with the Purple spring (stock 35) adjusted to 4250 in the water, just tweaked the linkage a little to keep from pulling the idle up. It wears the spring out in a season though and starts to pulse.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]