It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Fuel Solenoid issue (GX620)? 
MMT Member

Post Fuel Solenoid issue (GX620)?
I'm not a great mechanic. Let me just get that out there. My 20hp Honda (Go-devil, GX620), is giving me fits for the first time, sort of. This past season, I had an intermittent issue where the motor would just die off, but once I replaced the quick connect, motor behaved. Thought it was a fuel issue, so decided I'd do some maintenance (after the fact).

Went out today, motor was wet from some light rain. Started on first crank, then died. Now will not start at all. There is a constant "clicking" noise when I turn the key to "on". I'm all over the map, so tomorrow I'll check the plugs for spark, but if it's a fuel/solenoid/carb issue, I need some help.

How do I get to the carb on this motor? Can't really find a decent diagram online, and never done it on this type of honda. Figure I'll test/clean the solenoid first. Any idea what the constant clicking noise is? Is that the fuel pump? I've spent the last couple of hours reading posts here and elsewhere about this motor.

Thanks.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:21 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Fuel Solenoid issue (GX620)?
I can tell you for a fact that clicking is the efuel pump, clean the carb real good and yes the solenoid is known to gum up. The shop manual is a different story, you can buy the PDF on cd BUT it is time dated and after it expires it locks you out. I have the gx670 and have been thinking of plugging the solenoid up with a brass pipe plug.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 pm
MMT Member

Thanks man. So I guess the clicking is normal. Do I need to remove the fan cover to get to the carb?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:50 pm
MMT Sponsor

pull the solenoid out, snip the plunger off then reinstall. thats what gd does.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

I had read that in another post about GD snipping the plunger. I'm gonna check for spark today, and then move right to the fuel issue. Never worked on one of these motors before. I can see where the fuel filter enters the motor, so I'm assuming the carb and solenoid are inside of that. Can one of you guys tell me what needs to come off to adequately get to the carb/solenoid?

Thx

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:35 am
MMT 1000 Club

On my 24hp, air filter/box Front engine cowl Btw mostly metric sheeet

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:51 am
MMT Member

I've got good spark to both plugs, so I'm convinced it's a fuel system issue. She started up this afternoon, then stalled out quickly. Almost seems like there is negative pressure in bilge bulb. Took the air filter housing off, and see the carb and fuel filter, and what looks like a black fuel pump. So I guess this model has an electric and mechanical fuel pump? Didn't see the solenoid, but didn't have time to look more closely, so I'll have to have a better look tomorrow. Running out of daylight without a shop to work in is a pain.

Also noticed that the spring of the throttle arm doesn't seen to be providing any tension. When I move the throttle, the arm doesn't move. I can move it by hand, but the black spring is just sort of loose. Not sure when that happened, and I never had any issues with the throttle control in the past.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:23 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The black little mechanical/pulse pump. You can take that POS off and pitch it out. I'm not quite sure what spring your tryin to describe

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:13 pm
MMT Member

Here a couple photos of the spring.

The first is an overall, looking top-down on the motor. Black spring will be sort of top-center of photo.

Second photo is a close-up of the spring. It looks like it's hooked where it should be on both sides/plates, but does not move the throttle arm when I move the throttle back and forth. I know this has nothing to do with my fuel issue, but it always functioned, so I'm not sure what's different now.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:32 pm
MMT Sponsor

for the springs to do anything, the engine has to be running. the governor pulls against those springs when running.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

Thanks for bringing me along slowly on this. So are you saying that if I move the throttle lever (at the handle, near kill switch), it won't move the throttle arm unless the motor is running? I feel like a newb, but I'm learning.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:52 pm
MMT Member

How about that! Got the motor running, although at a rough idle and the throttle arm works as it should. Needs a good carb cleaning I'm sure. I assume if the fuel/carb solenoid wasn't functioning correctly that it wouldn't run at all, or it would be really inconsistent. Any chance that thing cuts off fuel supply just a a low idle with no choke?

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm
MMT 1000 Club

It'll run sometimes with the f-d up solenoid take the carb off!! It's on the bottom.
Note the governor will NOT govern without the motor running

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]