It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 smoking 35 
Post smoking 35
put my stock air cleaner on the other day to run in the rain and in the garage when i give it the gas it puts out a puff of smoke and then clears up ? every time i goose it it will puff out some smoke .doesnt matter what rpm im in when i add the gas it will smoke and then clear up like i got a leaky valve seat and oil is getting into the combustion chamber ? dont know. new at the mud motor thing

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:37 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: smoking 35
It could be the valve seals or possibly the stock air cleaner is really dirty and causing the engine to pull too much of a vaccum from the valve cover breather sucking up some oil. Just a thought. Not sure what else it could be if the air cleaner is the only thing you changed.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:08 pm
yea im not to concerned but thought i would throw it out there i cant remember it doing that before but the filter is new but i put the pod filter back on i pull the plugs out and check for oil

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:14 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Does the dipstick pop up a bit after a long WOT run?

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm
matter of fact it does . breather ?

Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:04 pm
if it is coming out of your air filter, chances are the problem is with your valves / seating. if there is smoke & light oil discharge coming out of your breather than most probably it's a head gasket. do a compression test and a leak down test on her & let us know what u find.

btw: dipstick poppin' out could possibly signify excess base pressure. possible cause would be leaking head gasket as well!

Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:45 pm
ok thanx coondick. this was a used motor with 20 hours on the hour meter LOL that i bought off of here. a water cooled briggs . it runs strong, i did the old news paper over the oil fill hole at idle sucked it in place so there isnt any or very little blow by. i will do a compresion test tonight and see what the leak down is

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:14 pm
MMT Pro Member

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 pm
time for new rings .to much crankcase pressure

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]