It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Engine turns over but no spark 
MMT F.E.

Post Engine turns over but no spark
Put a new Briggs engine on my frame a while back and I never rigged my motor to run off the tiller handle controls. Had the clutch and trim set up but nothing else so you turned it on and off actually on the power head. Decided to finally run it through the tiller handle controls and redid the wiring last night and it worked, but had too much extra wire so I went through and trimmed down my yellow and orange and maybe one other wire (can't remember).

Now I can get the motor to turn over but no spark.

I also installed one of those BPS electrical covers on the side of the engine while doing it. Don't think I nicked any wires while doing it. Anyone have any ideas where to start?

Here is a pic while I was doing the wiring. With the yellow and orange wires connected I can turn it over.

I'm getting power at the solenoid, but when I test spark in both spark boots, nothing happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:57 pm
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Engine turns over but no spark
The black wire on key switch harness is the kill wire to the coils. Clip it loose. It will fire, then figure out your wiring from rhere

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 pm
MMT F.E.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:54 pm
MMT Sponsor

Near the front of starter the is a 1/2 in wire loom that pokes through the metal front engine plate. Inside that loom should be 2 wires. Tan and black. The tan goes to a ground screw. The black splits and plugs into each coil. If these are unplugged from coils they will fire if they are good. When the black wire gets grounded it turns the coils off. If along the way they got 12v put to them it might have hurt them but im not sure.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:36 pm
MMT F.E.

Okay sorry for not understanding well. When you say "if these are unplugged from the coils" I assume you means just the back ones should be unplugged? And hurt what? The coils?

Also, is that not the same loon as what's shown in the picture with the wiring harness? The grey, black, and brown wires there? Should the brown black and grey wires shown in the picture be grounded or run somewhere?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:42 pm
MMT Sponsor

In the pic looks like key switch harness. Look closely at where starter goes through plate to flywheel. Just past that and hiding is the small harness I'm talking bout. Yes if the black wires are unplugged from coils they should fire. Yes I'm worried if the black wires to coils accidently got 12v it may have hurt coils,, but maybe not

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:02 pm
MMT F.E.

Okay, and the brown and grey wires from the ignition switch should be grounded or cut off?

And I can't think of how the coils could have gotten 12v to them, but how can I test their condition?

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 pm
MMT Sponsor

Unplug the coils to check their condition. On the other wires I'm not sure off hand. Let's get it firing and go from there

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 pm
MMT F.E.

Okay. The engine is virtually brand new, 15 hrs on it (though on a 2012 frame). I wouldn't think the coils would both have gone bad at the exact same time.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm
MMT F.E.

And it was the coils. Not sure why they both died, but I did find that the wire running to my trim relay had broken at the relay and was laying against the engine block. Not sure if that could have destroyed the diode in the coils or not. If so, that wire likely got snapped off when working to get the BPS wire cover on.

New coils on their way from boat dr.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:58 am
MMT Sponsor

My 2c here. I really doubt that a hot wire laying on the block can smoke the coils. I think 12v was accidentally put to the coil diode wires. This will smoke them quick. I am saying this in hopes that when the new coils come in you test them without the black wires hooked up and triple check your wiring.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:25 pm
MMT F.E.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm
MMT Elite Member

Like I said in text.
briggs KEY harness
Orange feeds key from starter post with a fuse
Gray is switched + it feeds clutxh switch inside tiller control box
black is the kill/shut off It ties into the kill switch aswell
brown is ground
yellow is start. It leaves key and goes to clutch switch then leaves switch

GT tiller handle
Green
Blue are trim wires for up/ down
Red from circuit breaker feeds trim switch
Heavy gauge brown wire is the ground that feeds trim, kill switch, and key switch
Black will be the kill wire that leaves the key to the Deutsch connector then to the coils
gray from clutch switch to clutch
Yellow from clutch it goes to Deutsch connector then to starter solenoid trigger pin.
There will be a red wire with whte stripe. Its an external acc on for a fuel pump or any Ign on acc.

At any point like Will C said if +12 touches the coils it will burn the internal diodes.

Also you were trying to splic in the Key harness from the motor and the tiller together. You created one Fiasco LOL.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:47 pm
MMT Sponsor

Sticky that^

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:21 pm
MMT F.E.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm
MMT Elite Member

Good deal.. Get ride of that Briggs small harness.. And splice the Deutsch connector onto your tiller harness to make it almost plug and play.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:31 am
MMT 1000 Club

Yes the coils at some point got a touch of something they didn't like. Good ole volt meter told me that. With the new coils, 1st start will be unhooked. Then i am going to help him get the wiring tight, neat and correct. Maxis thanks for the gtr side wire color chart. We'll get her taken care of, if not he'll have to ride in the prodigy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2014 PRODIGY 1754 (#19) 2014 5500 BAMF HDR RETRO SOLD

2010 Gator Tail Gator Series 18x54 pushed by a 2020 40GTRXD

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 pm
MMT F.E.

Coils are installed, wiring redone, boat running good. Thanks Dmax and the rest of y'all for the help.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]