It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New motor at the end of the season. HDR or GTR-XD? 
MMT F.E.

Post New motor at the end of the season. HDR or GTR-XD?
I have owned two GTRs; a 2013 25 Subaru and a 2015 37 EFI, with the last version of the non-electric reverse. Both have been 100% problem-free and at the time I bought each, the choice was simple---I wanted reverse and the least weight possible. That ruled out MB and PD. I have a short-transom 16.5x46" Instagator Hull, .100, and it flies with a stock 37EFI.

I'm due for another engine at the end of the season; I always sell while I still have warranty. Now MB has reverse and I'm weighing MB vs. the GTR-XD.

Here are some of the issues I'm weighing:

1) Customer service over the phone versus in-person:
Gator Tail has always been good to me and the customer service has been excellent----over the phone. However, I have no GTR dealers for service even remotely close to me in South Florida. Closest is in Ocala, about 5hrs away. MudBuddy has dealers much closer, within a couple hours at most.

2) Engine height on frame:
I also like the fact that the MB sits much lower on the frame and is therefore easier to conceal. I hunt out of the boat quite a bit and our birds can be blind-wary.

3) Drive length:
The HDR has a 34" shaft which should give me even more speed at an optimum trim angle. I've also been told that the MB motors have less vibration and torque.

4) Speed:
In the past I had heard that GTRs were faster with identical power, but I've been told that has changed by a reputable boat builder. My boat moves along pretty well regardless, so this isn't too important either way.

5) Weight positive vs. neutral:
On the positive side for GTR, it has been my understanding that GTRs are more weight-forward, while MBs are more weight-neutral over the transom. I prefer weight-forward when running fast through thick vegetation (we don't have mud or stumps where I hunt) because the motor stays hooked up better and doesn't want to kick up as much. Is this still the case?

6) Given my short, light boat with a short transom, total weight is also a consideration. Anyone know the real-world weights of both?

For anyone who has run an HDR and a GTR-XD: What differences have you noticed? This is a much tougher choice than it was 2-3 years ago.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: New motor at the end of the season. HDR or GTR-XD?
I just bought a GTR XD 37 EFI and picking it up tomorrow so I cant give you a good review, but I have read many reviews between the 2. The reason I went with the GTR is because it was considerably lighter than the MB by I think 60 or 70 pounds if I remember correctly.

I have also heard MB's customer service was garbage, but again this is second hand information. I dont think you will have to do much maintence on either motor so I wouldnt think you would have to make a 5 hour drive to get it serviced too often.

And GTR came out with the new tiller handle which has dampeners in them and a whole new design with the recessed key and new throttle, which I liked ALOT. Everything is right there at your hand and can operate with one hand. Ive got 2 buddies with MB's and 1 with a GTR and all of them love their motors. I personally dont think you could go wrong with either one, but this is just how I made my decision.

Hope you find what youre looking for!

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:29 pm
MMT Pro Member

Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:38 am
Profile YIM
MMT Pro Member

I’ve put a few hours on my motor now, and I’m more than happy with it. She runs 28-29 by myself in about 4 inches of water and i took a heavy load of 4 people a dog tank of gas and 3 dozen decoys and a boat blind and pushed her 23. Was actually surprised, BUT it did take me a good little bit to get to that speed. Didn’t realize how much i was going to like the GTR instant reverse until i had it. The new handle is flawless and very well designed.

Hope y’all have a Merry Christmas!

Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:41 pm
MMT Addict

Very happy with my XD.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:52 am
MMT F.E.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 pm
MMT 1000 Club

TGunn, do a little more research into the outdrive on th hdr. You’ll see they truly have a better design between the two. Gtail has done a good job with their xd, but imo they did a lot of things mb implemented years ago (vibration dampers, control location, ability to trim down further & not having to pull a pin, etc)

Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:38 pm
MMT Addict

Worm Cove... Haven't called it by that name in a while. Was a good wood duck spot about 20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:49 am
MMT F.E.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]