It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Prodrive fouling plugs 
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Prodrive fouling plugs
I see often 8%-60% on stock motors, But the average is 10%-15% leakage. Most is from rings... But don't let that fool you. once the piston is reciprocating you don't have much pumping loss.
Also heavy overlap camshafts will run rich at idle, due to the reversion back into the intake manifold.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 am
MMT Sponsor

Soo, just a recap. Last year you had the same problem. Phowler was able to look at your ecu and determined it was a bad temp sensor, replaced sensor and all was good? This year same exact issue. I believe you have replaced all sensors at this point. Pro drive checked out your ecu and said it was good? This could be a big variable. I'm really just trying to verify that your ecu has been tuned for your exact engine combination somewhere along the way. You said it has phowler heads, why we're the prodrive heads being replaced? Have you had this boat for years and it's been good the whole time? Any chance you bought someone else's headache? We must be overlooking something. At this point I'm guessing something mechanical on the engine is being overlooked, a wire harness issue which could be found if you can get the ecu to communicate, ecu actually not good, or ecu hasn't been tuned for this combo.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 am
MMT Pro Member

I bought the boat and motor brand new from Phowler in april 2014. The motor was 2013. April 2015 I took it to for a warranty shave on the heads. They shaved them 15 or 20 thousandths. I called them after i got home and asked them how much they shaved them and that’s what they told me. Everything worked fine. I just wanted more power so About October 2016 I took the motor to Prodrive. They installed the so called E5. I told the the max I wanted the heads shaved was 40. The motor was water tested there. Once I got home (north MS) A good cold front came through and the motor wouldn’t crank. Barely would turn over. Talked to Brian at Prodrive. Apparently they just set up there machine and shaved 40 off of the already 15 or 20 done during the warranty. So now the heads are 55 or 60. Brian said it was to much compression and it won’t crank in real cold weather. Prodrive did not have another set of heads and with duck season the next weekend I asked if he would warranty a set of heads through Phowler. Since I know their motors run fine on cold weather. He said ok. Phowler mailed the heads and everything to install plus new pushrods. I put them on. Everything seemed to work ok. About half way through the season it started taking a min. to crank. Once summer rolled around it would crank ok. So I didn’t think much about it until it got cold again. That’s when I took it to Phowler October 2017 and we found the bad block temp sensor. Everything was back to good working order until around this passed Christmas. That’s when the plugs started fouling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:13 am
MMT Pro Member

Also the e5 ecu program is the same for Phowler and Prodrive. I believe Prodrive generally decks heads for the e5 at 50. The reason I said a max of 40 is I figured it was more reliable. I can’t remember what Phowlers heads are. I think it was 30 or 35. I wish now I would have taken it somewhere else from the get go for mods. Also the e5 was done just shortly after dewayne had left. So I’m really not sure who done it or their craftsmanship. I do know I did not like the head work from Prodrive. Stock valves ported but left them very rough. No polishing whatsoever.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:33 am
MMT Sponsor

Wow brother, you've been on an adventure. Let's start by taking another look at your leakdown test in case the heads seasoned enough to have low signal. Let's do a FaceTime where I can watch. Let's get a time setup, pull valve covers where I can see rockers. We will go from there 903 985 4247. Normally all mods are done then the ecu is tuned to the mods. In your case the e5 tuned ecu is set. Different decking, a little different style portwork or a cam that even a little different requires tuning.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am
MMT Sponsor

Being you are so far from folks that can fix that efi,,,, put a mikuni on it.. option2, lol

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:53 am
MMT Pro Member

I have thought of that. What all would it consist of swapping.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:08 am
MMT Sponsor

Pretty simple. Order a mikuni kit from backwater performance. It's easy to remove your stuff and install the carb kit

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 am
MMT Elite Member

PS intake ports are rpugh cut but bit finished. Large ports. The exhausts were polished on the last set I worked on. If you have stock valves.... IT is not IF it is WHEN you will drop and exhaust valve and wreck the motor. The pd E5 kit is ok, but the biggest weak link is the valves.

Will is a fine feller when it comes to the PD efi.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:36 pm
MMT Pro Member

The Prodrive heads were stock valves but the Phowler heads are aftermarket valves. Paul told me what kind but I don’t remember.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:16 pm
MMT Sponsor

If you weren't half way across the country I would ask u to drop by

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

I sure appreciate the offer and might have to take you up on it. I’ve been from Prodrive to Phowler so I may have to add Texas to the list.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:19 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Someone told you the motor won't turn over with heads decked .50 or .60? :lol: We've run motors like that for years. Not sure what temps caused this, but we've run them at right around 0-F and not had any issues with anything other than frozen choke and throttle cables.

Did you ever try a bigger battery? We run about the biggest marine/starting battery's we can find on ours. My pops did have 32 that would vapor lock or something and you'd have to manually turn it about a half a crank, but after that, it would crank and run fine.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:32 am
MMT Pro Member

Yep. That’s what I was told. I never tried a bigger battery. The one I have on it now I think is just a marine starting group 24 max from Walmart. It does have 1000cca. As soon as the heads were swapped With the same battery it turned over really quick. The temp was 21 degrees the morning I called Prodrive to discuss the issue.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am
MMT Sponsor

Over and over it's the shit ass battery cables/ usually cheap jumper cables

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:03 am
MMT Pro Member

Think I figured it out. It’s totally my fault for assuming. Just because a fuel pump comes on and pumps doesn’t mean it is pumping right. I just officially checked the fuel pressure and it was bumping 85 psi. Now I am 99% sure that’s my problem.

I want to thank everyone that has chimed in with help. Especially Will C. He has responded everytime. Thanks.

Will C. Do you know of a different fuel pump I can buy at a local parts store or is Prodrive/ecotron the only place to get it.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm
MMT Sponsor

Did you check pressure before or after regulator. I remember you replacing the regulator recently. It's not ever the pumps fault for over pressuring. It's the regulator. Since you already replaced the regulator.. make sure the regulator is not installed wrong or just backwards. This would cause your high pressure. Also if the return line is blocked the pressure will spike. Check it out and holler back

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 pm
MMT Pro Member

Well you were right. The inlet of the regulator was blocked. It was a piece of white plastic about 3/8” inside the inlet. Took me a minute to pick it out. It was kinda attached to the inside wall like when the plastic mold was made. Put it back on and checked fuel pressure. Sitting right on 44psi. Keep in mind the temps got to mid 30’s last night so all the fuel lines are holding on to the barbs pretty good. As I was pulling the line off the gauge it all of a sudden decided to turn loose. The other end was hooked to the “PLASTIC” outlet of the pump. So I no longer have a fitting on the pump and I definitely need a pump now. I hope you know of a replacement pump that will work besides ecotrons. I would love to get it going today. Rain finally quit so I can go run it. I found the specs to the pump

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:35 am
MMT Sponsor

Any universal tpi/ mfi pump will get it done. Your local parts house should have something . I'm attaching a pic. I haven't used this particular one but you get the idea. Precision pump at Oreilly e16118. Give it a look

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:11 am
MMT Pro Member

Do I need to find one that puts out 40 to 45 psi or will any of them just cut off at the correct pressure. The pic you included is 80 to 120. I’m assuming the flow rate really dosent matter. Hate to keep asking so many questions. Just don’t want to spend money on the wrong pump. I’ve already invested a small fortune in this thing.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:34 am
MMT 1000 Club

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Facet makes some good pumps.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 pm
MMT Sponsor

most all the late model fuel pumps will Put out 80/100 if there is no regulator. The regulator is what sets your pressure correctly, not the pump. In theory any pump that puts out over what your regulator is set at will work because the regulator bleeds off any pressure above what the regulator is set at

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:22 pm
MMT Pro Member

Update—- Got the new fuel pump on. I just went with the one Prodrive had. It was actually a little cheaper than the one I found at Autozone plus it must be a new design cause it was a metal inlet and 5/16 instead of the 1/2” inlet on the old one. Anyway it does seem to be a lot better. It still has some fuel burning at idle but when I throttle up it goes away. I figured it’s just from the tune Prodrive is running. Prolly a lot of fuel for just idle. If the rain gives me a chance this Saturday I’ll go run it and then recheck the plugs.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:28 pm
MMT Pro Member

Just want to let y’all know the motor is fixed. I didn’t want to be one of those guys that got info off this site but never told what the fix was. I’m pretty sure it was originally just injectors but with the new regulator being clogged it through me for a loop since it was causing the system to over pressurize.

Anyway the motor ran great. After I ran it I checked the plugs and they both have turned tan like their supposed to. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 am
MMT Sponsor

Good deal sir. Glad u got it lined out

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2