It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Mud Buddy tiller froze up 
MMT Member

Post Mud Buddy tiller froze up
Need help! 2006 Mud Buddy HD 4000 will not swivel left or right. My last trip was in the saltwater and now she's stuck like a champ. I've removed the motor and I can't for the life of me get the positioning tray to come out of the clamp mount. I'm assuming it's just stuck like hell and I need to keep banging on it but maybe I'm missing something? Also, is there supposed to be a bushing between the positioning tray that the motor sits on and the clamp mount? Hopefully this makes a little sense? I'm gonna try to post some picture links. Not sure if they will work.

https://ibb.co/jMdS96

https://ibb.co/fPvDhR

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Mud Buddy tiller froze up
Got it all fixed up. I searched for hours trying to find the answer with no luck. Finally called Hank at the boat doctor and he told me what to do. FYI, you do not need to remove the motor. I had to because I have a polling platform that wouldn't allow the motor to raise more than 6 inches. Here's what you do. First, do not bang on it like I was, it will not work. You need to get something like a forklift or in my case a big ass oak tree. Hook up to the motor lift points and start lifting real slow. While doing this you will need to try to move the tiller handle left and right. Spray the rod with a crap ton of wd40 and continue. This process took my son and me about 45 minutes. I was completely wore out when the rod finally came out. If the tiller handle won't move at all you might be screwed. Once I got everything apart I cleaned the rod and sleeve with everything possible until it was as good as I could get it. Last thing, Hank informed me that mud buddy used to put a bearing between the rod and sleeve but they stopped in like '06 and now just use 2 stainless steel washers on there. Well mine still had the remenice of what used to be a bearing. I took that crap off and put the 2 SS washers. Hope this helps anyone in the same situation I was in.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]