It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 WTF am I doing wrong? Second clutch on PD in 4 weeks 
MMT Pro Member

Post WTF am I doing wrong? Second clutch on PD in 4 weeks
Ok guys,
second Xtreme clutch on PD if 4 weeks. Used the spacer shipped with clutch, all bolts torqued to spec, burnished the clutch per Xtreme,,,,,,, 15 hrs on new clutch and it went to shit yesterday, had to limp back to dock again.
How much do you guys use the intermittent button on the PD's? Take it apart today and see if something obvious is bad. Oh yeah, modded kawi 29, nothing severe. Good strong motor.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:51 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: WTF am I doing wrong? Second clutch on PD in 4 weeks
Washers in place where they need to be?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:49 pm
MMT Elite Member

That can be a doozy... PD sent me an auto kit and there was something either mis cut or forgot to send me a spacer for the swivel/ PH spacer. I had to shim to so the PH would stay square.
But it sounds like those are junk cluthes. Stick to Warner.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Troy, he bought my stage 2 kawi. washers are fine. The clutch keeps breaking the bands. I've been talking to Dennis for a while now. This is another extreme that broke the bands. But the good thing is the windings are still in good shape. usually when the clutch goes, the windings get exposed and touch off on the clutch plate and short out. I mentioned to him, if he could find a bottom section of a regular PD clutch and mate it with the extreme, he may have the best of both. the extreme is "supposedly" known for the different bearing design, cooling running. Thus would make since that not of the failed on the windings, but on the bands. Now the extreme is labeled a "prodrive clone", but the 2 sections may not mate together. Just seems odd that the bands keep breaking. This is my PD clutch that burnt up. The bands that keep breaking are on the piece on the left. that is what he needs. So if someone has a burnt up clutch and kept the old shit, I'm sure hell be happy to try it with the extreme upper bearing assembly. if they mate up.
IMG_3671.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The modded Kawi I sold is having the same issue.
I sold it, clutch gave out within 10 hours after the guy bought it, and now he is changing the clutch again 30 hours later.
Surely, it has nothing to do with the Kawi being the power source. I offered to help with the first clutch (I didn't have to) but the 2nd one going out is weird to me.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 pm
MMT 1000 Club

From the look of that pic it seems there's too much weight riding on it! like there is some gap needing to be somewhere that aint there

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:44 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sent some pics to xtreme, first thing guy says is you got grease between the rotor and the friction plate. When I put the new one on recently, I greased the shit out of the ring gear for reverse, and pumped all the zircs I could find. There was alot of grease under that clutch. Running it yesterday, when I shut down I could smell what I thought was hot grease. Yep. Thats what it was. They are sending a new one at discount, so I will get it in and cross my fingers. Love the motor, it does all I need to do, and the hydro reverse and trim are outstanding. Thanks guys, appreciate the help with this and hope this fixes it.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:28 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Grease on these clutches are a big no no!

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]