It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Cracked Case - 2012 GTR 
MMT Member

Post Cracked Case - 2012 GTR
My motor case cracked on my last hunt. No signs of an issue other than slight gasket leak on the right side of the motor (facing prop). I did notice a single case bolt broke off at the threads and had rattled out. But it has been that way for near enough all of 2017.

So...anyone have an idea as to why the case cracked? I've never had an issue with a case. 108 hours. SETX heads. Marshmallow Exhaust. Mikuni Carb. Mods were done at 25 hours. Compression after mods was 160 in each cylinder. 22% and 10% leak down on the valves.

Lots of vibration in the motor now (obvious). Crack is on top of the motor case from the top right bolt. Also has a small crack at the middle case bolt, left side.

Any help would be appreciated. Obviously need a new case, but wondering what could've caused the crack. Hopefully nothing wrong with it internally. Only drove it back from the hunt the day the motor cracked (idled back :roll: ).

Thanks in advance.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:41 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Cracked Case - 2012 GTR
I seen one do that same similar thing only thing I could come up with was that he let the crank case bolts get lose and did it.

No I wasn't talking about you but if the shoe fits lace that bitch up & wear it!!!!

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:09 pm
MMT Pro Member

Bolts loosened up . I now have witness marks on mine.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:34 am
MMT 1000 Club

The biggest problem with that rear cover cracking is u say u have a 2012 , so u need to update to the gen 4 reverse caliper. The style u have now when reversing grabs the rotor and pulls back and that is pulling the crank into the rear cover.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]