It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Water flowing out of the block when I removed the spark plug 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Water flowing out of the block when I removed the spark plug
:shock: How bad is this going to be?

I got back a few weeks ago from a week long camping/hunting trip over in LA for the closing weekend and ran the boat hard. I started having some issue with the motor getting a spark while I was over there, but it eventually turned over while I was there.

I was going to go snipe hunting this AM, and last night I went to turn it over and a half crank and nothing. The battery was fine. I pulled the plugs today, and when I pulled the right plug, water literally came pouring out of the block. I replaced both plugs, oil filter and changed the oil. I cranked it up after, and it did start just fine, but there is a fairly loud knocking- it sounds like coming from that right head, but it’s hard to tell.

How bad do you guys think this will be? The water was brackish where I was hunting, but it rained the whole drive home- so who knows how long the water has been in there. First time I’ve come across this one. I am assuming a gasket failed and it is not a cracked block!

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Water flowing out of the block when I removed the spark
Pull the head(s) and post pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:02 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I’m going to bring it to Sid at Fastduck Motors and have them pull the heads and seee how bad it is...hopefully the corrosion isn’t too bad. I was just curious to see if anybody else has had this problem and if so, what they found.

I’ll post what I find when I open things up....

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mine sank and was down 3 days, ruined everything.
Good luck

Crown royal pro-staff

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm
MMT 1000 Club

If it indeed did rain hard, I have seen where there is so much moisture in the air that it will enter from the airfilter and condense on the carb, thus draining through the intake into the heads. Not a common thing, but I have seen it. Thus is why I ran that Flower pot style air intake. It acted like a rain shield. The knocking could be multiple things. Lash, bent valve, sticking valve. Easy way to check is pull plugs and turn over by hand until the piston reaches TDC. Shibne a flashlight into the plug hole and look for scaring, rust , metal shaving or anything inside the cylinder. If all is good, then I would pull heads to check valve train.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:37 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thx man- will do. After speaking to a few people it sounds like trailering the boat home to FL in the rain for 11 hours wit the motor trimmed up allowed water to get In through the Mikuni filter and down into the heads. I will see what type of issues I have, but it i am hopeful the issues won’t be anything that can’t be cleaned up.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 pm
MMT 1000 Club

May not have been the carb. Is your exhaust outlet capable of taking on water when trimmed up, and is the muffler high enough to allow water to enter the heads/cylinder? A stock, gutted stock, q, etc all can.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:49 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]