It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Anybody a Briggs/prodrive expert? 
MMT Member

Post Anybody a Briggs/prodrive expert?
So I bought a 2006 “36 hp pro drive” today that I found on Craigslist. The block has a crack in it so the price was right and it even came with a “good” short block so all I would have to do is swap everything out. Well I got home and looked further into it to see what I really got (never trust online ads) and found the model number on the unit to be 543777 0110-e1, which I recognized from a 32 hp prodrive at LSU that I had to order parts for last week. The spare short block is a 613777 0110-e1, which I assume to be the 36 hp block. My question is, are the heads interchangeable between the 32 and the 36? I checked the part numbers and they are different but I wasn’t sure if that had to do with year model or minute changes or whatever. I’m a grad student and working with a very limited budget so I just wanted to double check before I try to find a set of 36 hp heads.

Where is the best place to find used or aftermarket parts for these motors? Can’t hardly find anything on eBay and I really don’t want to pay oem price for this stuff.

And one other question, my boat has a 20” transom and I’d really like to keep it that way but I’m guessing the motor is for a 16” transom. How can you tell the difference on these motors? And is there any way to convert it to fit a “high transom” if it is a short shaft?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first surface drive to own. I worked as a service tech at a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealership for several years so I’m fairly competent with small engines but I’m used to a wide selection of parts and Info and I can’t seem to find much on the 36 Briggs. Thanks in advance guys!

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:04 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Anybody a Briggs/prodrive expert?
the heads are interchangeable. I would also look for a 36hp carb to match the additional stroke and displacement you gain from the new 36 short block.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:43 pm
MMT F.E.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:50 pm
MMT Member

Awesome! I’ve been stressed out all day wondering if was going to have to buy heads lol. The guy I bought it from said it has a newer stock carb with drilled jets but I don’t trust that at all so I’ll probably try to find a 36 hp carb. I’m 90% sure based on some stuff I’ve read that it is a short transom model but here’s a picture of it. At a somewhat level trim the prop is only a couple inches higher than the long shaft Johnson 50 that’s still on the boat (can kinda see it in the pics) so I might just run it and see what happens before I do anything else. I pulled the heads this afternoon to make sure they’re usable and while the cylinders were full of water, the heads should be fine with a little cleaning. I’m a lot more optimistic for this project than I was yesterday. Thanks again for the help!

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:05 pm
MMT 1000 Club

You do have a short transom.
You won’t get any performance out of that motor unless you match the transom to the motor.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:00 pm
MMT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:19 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:23 pm
MMT F.E.

You do what you want, but I would look into the kit before I lowered the transom. I don't think it is that expensive and if you can notch and weld the boat, then you can easily covert to a Tall.

To help with backwash, and so as to not cut up the boat if nothing else.

Is this your first MM? It is nothing like an outboard and you will need to forget most of what you know if that is your only experience.....

Many people have notched and it will work fine, just offering up another thought..

Good luck

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 pm
MMT Member

Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 pm
MMT Pro Member

Not sure if it's different than an earlier generation but on my Gen 3 the only thing that had to be purchased from PD to convert short to tall was a tower housing. It was in the ballpark of $500.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]