It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 2017 4400 Black Death efi MODS? 
MMT Member

Post 2017 4400 Black Death efi MODS?
Last summer I upgraded My rig to a 1854 Excel F4 with a mud buddy 4400 Black Death EFI motor. It came with a three blade raptor prop and with just myself I was having trouble with torque right off the bat. It was just too big. So mud buddy sent me a two blade and that helped but still with 4 guys and a dog ( which I know is a lot ) it’s hard to get up on plane so they sent me A new gear set. I feel that helped the most and I am able to get up on plane a lot easier. I’m not concerned with losing a few miles per hour top speed Im mainly concerned with a full load and getting up and on plane right away. Wondering if there is any advice and/or MODS focused on torque and initial power rather than top speed. All performance kits I am still seeing are for the 37. Anything helps thanks

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:01 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 2017 4400 Black Death efi MODS?
Mods accomplish both speed and low end power, gearing and prop work translate that more towards holeshot or top speed. To take what you have and get more power to reach your goals, more money towards mods are in order. 4400 has what? Fuel tuning, heads, and exhaust? So a cam would make the next sizable difference (and is the next logical step). After that, it's more decking on the heads (and better headwork) for more compression and flow, or pistons and rods to build more compression.

Talk to Will at Texas Mud Motors, or Marcus at Bayou Surface Drives and they'll lay out the cost of the options, and make the best suggestions to get to where you want to be.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:15 pm
MMT Sponsor

How many hour are on your motor? It's best to give your new heads time to season before building them correctly. The intake seats move on Every set of new castings.Personally I would rebuild the heads to our specs , add a bit of intake work and hardtune the ECU. This will have the power to step damn near anything. Upping power from there adds more fun factor while driving. After boat is on plane it will keep on pulling hard. Welded heads, cam, large throttle body, billet pushrods, fire ring gaskets and custom tuned ecu makes a hot stage 2 that will last. Then we have full built piston/ long rod motors. Have much fun do we want to have? Lol. I'm near longveiw Tx. If I can help in any way let me know

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:17 pm
MMT Member

Yes so this all helps a bunch! I have 11 hours on it I have it in the shop right now with it being gone through with a fine tooth comb this is the last month of warranty and after that I’ll be ready. Are there a lot of people doing mods to 4400’s?

Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:51 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Some do. Some of us mod stock 35s and 37s. The 4400 just already has some mods from the factory, so you dont necessarily have to do heads again (though typically they will need a valve job around 50 hours). It's usually a cam and some more fuel tuning for the efi engines, and some people go all out.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

Get a cam and hard tune and a worked prop then you will be rolling. You will get four people, dog, and hunting gear on step with no problems.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:31 pm
MMT 1000 Club

At what time do you think is good for getting head work Will? 50 hours, 100 hours? What are your recommendations on that bro?

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:06 am
MMT Sponsor

I've gotten to learn how my customers drive, what load they carry etc. A heavy bow fishing load and staying wot for long periods will settle the heads in 20 hours. A rig that that's lighter or only run hard for short periods can take 50 plus hours. I've done enough of them that I can check them by hand. When not in shop I can pull plug wires off for safety, engage clutch and rotate prop by hand. I can feel how long it takes to roll by the compression stroke and be pretty close on a redneck leakdown test, lol. A fully seasoned head will be 40plus %leakage on the intake seats. I've got a bigblock on a tour boat thats around 350hrs at moment. Still at 15%. This boat only gets run hard for 5 minutes or so at a time. I would still call those heads unseasoned

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:45 pm
MMT Sponsor

And on the subject of adding a cam to your current heads, yes it will help. This is also why some head/ cam motors run much stronger than others. I would use a smaller cam on your heads vs a more aggressive cam with my heads. It's all about a matching combo

Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:03 pm
MMT Elite Member

Will is spot on. He recommended the right way to do things. Ill add that reworking BPS heads will increase flow, Adding more compression will help aswell. Don't be scared of compression, It is what makes your motor efficient, and will really shine when the heads can flow that air and fuel.
Regardless of how much is decked, we are still using a stock rotating assembly here so we are will in the safe zone. On a hunting motor for the average feller, I agree with Will on the smaller camshaft. it will keep the torque in the rev range the stock limiter will allow. smaller cams timed appropriately will turn on the power about 1800-2000 rpm and torque will fall after 4500. Sure some lighter boats can spin to the limiter, but loaded you will noticed it will be a different animal.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]