It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New cam, new noise 
MMT Pro Member

Post New cam, new noise
Just got my cam and case gasket install complete and started for the breakin period. Sounds very different than before the tear down. I got it fired up right away and ran it to 2200 rpm, ran it for 8 minutes and it wasn’t sounding right. Lots of chattering that doesn’t sound normal, so I shut it down. I used Lucas oil assembly lube and a lot of it, but it did sit for a couple days. Timing mark on the cam and crank lined up. New tappets. Note: I didn’t remove the governor shaft cause I’m running stock carb (strapped for cash). Case cover went on without force. Heads are worked by Boat Dr and have 11 hours on them. Pink springs. Amsoil 4t. I set the lash 1/4 past TDC on compression at 005 and then checked it using the exhaust > intake method. After I ran it and it sounded strange, I let it cool down and checked lash again - fine. I at a loss for words. I am definitely not a gear head but I really took my time on this build and did things according to the BPS tech tips and the information gained from multiple thread reads here and guidance from Nick P. I’m sure these purr to a different tune with a performance cam, but my gut says something is up. I guess the next step would be to drain the oil to check for shavings?! Then pull it apart again? any ideas?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: New cam, new noise
Where you located?

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:36 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:59 pm
MMT 1000 Club

It's hard to hear on the video but it sounds like maybe a heat shield is missing a bolt or rattling somewhere.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:38 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:10 pm
MMT Sponsor

I can't see the video but I had 2 cams in the past that I pulled out with less than 1 minute run time. Cam gear noise load as shit. I found small shavings where the gears were trying to mesh. Since then I lap all gear sets before install, no problems since. When lapping I found that there are tight spots in the cam gear itself. Extra lapping in this area fixed the issue. Use a stethoscope or long screwdriver, listen for the noise around rear cover. Hopefully u find something easy but it won't be the first time if you have to open it back up

Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm
MMT Elite Member

It is the gear on the camshaft. They are ground "tighter" I should say. Most of the time. Fire it up to 2500 ish and walk away for 15-20 minutes then come back. If it is still chattering, it will need to be replaced. You need to contact your cam provider to make it right.

Its is also a hard tool steel cam on a hard ass crank gear.... No more soft cast.... so yes inconsistent gear teeth cutting will be amplified. It is not detrimental to the health of your engine, But its is annoying at times.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:11 am
MMT Pro Member

Ran it a bit more last night. Chattering has diminished a little bit, but it looks like I have developed a leak around the crank shaft seal. Assuming it is leaking around the outter edge and oil on the clutch is probably not good. I cleaned the shaft with red 3M scotch brite pad during disassembly...

Based on my search, it looks like a 1.5" piece of pvc is the thing to use to drive it back in. My question(s): 1) instead of digging it out with a screw driver and galling the shaft, wouldn't it be easier to drill in two screws and pull it with pliars? 2) would it be beneficial to put a bead of Loctite around the outter edge?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 am
MMT Sponsor

Yes you can drill small holes in seal for a drywall or othe pointed screw to grab seal. You still have to be damn careful not to touch the crank. I use a small amount of black rtv on the outside of the seal

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:03 am
MMT Pro Member

Don't know what exhaust you have but I'll put my hand over the exhausted outlet before it gets too hot and you hear the engine internals alot better if there is a tick/knock.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]