It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 long tail on a V nose jon 
MMT Member

Post long tail on a V nose jon
anyone done it? searched and got garbage results because everyone talks about getting their nose up etc.

in particular, I'm looking to put a 6.5 predator thai kit on a 12' v nose since there are tons of them easy to come by in my area. will this perform at all? not looking for record breaking, or even high er speeds, just getting through the weeds in my area o the cheap. thanks in advance.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:45 am
MMT Member

Post Re: long tail on a V nose jon
Although I am currently looking to upgrade, for the past 2 years I have ran a tai kit with a 6.5 motor on a 1636 flatbottom. Like you I wanted to get where I was going for cheap. My hunts out at Cheyenne Bottoms were 3 guys, average 220lbs, my 120lb lab and all the hunting gear. We got through where we were going. I also use it on the river to catfish and it does fantastic with me and a buddy going through whatever we need to. You will be a little underpowered and a little heavy in the back depending on your weight but if your just going through shallow muck you will be fine.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:02 pm
MMT Pro Member

Me and some friends all have longtails mostly 24hp to 35hp.The one guy had a V-bottom 16’ boat,well it run good but not great. Like you said it likes to push the back down and the front way up. Even with someone sitting in the nose of boat. He only used it for one season. He sold that boat and bought 1648 Lowe semi-V and what a difference. I had run beside him one morning and my son said ,Steve’s is going to sink. The gunnels were almost even with the water it was pushing that far down into the water.Longtails like long and narrow. My best friend runs a 1644 Godevil with a 29 Briggs and he will outrun my 1656 Godevil with a 31 Briggs. Sorry for the rant I hope this helps.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:37 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully there’s some folks out there that have also tried this and can chime in. Not sure I want to even spend the cheap money since I don’t like how high the v nose boats even float. Coming from a sneak boat, I guess I’ve got high standards.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

I had one on a 12' v bottom john and it did wha ti needed it to do... gotta figure a 6.5hp doesn't have much balls anyway so worrying about performance isn't really a big deal. They aren't mud motors at that low HP, they are only shallow water air cooled motors.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]