It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 GTR Tail 35HP oil leak? 
MMT Member

Post GTR Tail 35HP oil leak?
I bought my gtr tail about a month ago I have been running it about once a week. Last weekend I took it to louisiana to do some frogging before I left I had to service the motor so I changed the oil I put royal purple 10W-30 into it I couldn't find the briggs and stratton oil filter so I looked up a acceptable replacemement and went with a purolator. The new filter was slightly bigger so I called GTR tail and asked since the filter was bigger if the recommended putting a little more oil in the motor. They told me to put 2.5 qts and that would be full. after running it this weekend I was cleaning it up and noticed there seemed to be oil leaking from the seal between the crank case and the block on the right side fo the motor by the filter. Can anyone help me out with this? This is my first mud motor so Im not sure where to start if its the gasket between the crank case and block or if i put to much oil in it and blew the seal. If it is the gasket how hard of a fix is that can I do it myself or does the whole motor need to be broke down to fix it?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: GTR Tail 35HP oil leak?
Case gasket leak is a common problem with these motors. A lot of people do it themselves, it requires splitting the case and replacing the gasket. Some people have the case cover machined to eliminate the gasket. That is the better option but requires a machine shop to do it.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:06 pm
MMT Member

Do you know where/how I can find the part number for a new gasket?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am
MMT 1000 Club

Partstree.com

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:45 pm
MMT Elite Member

say no to case gaskets.... it will leak again. Send to your local Mud motor mechanic to have a proper case delete done.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:36 am
MMT Member

So just an update. I was cleaning my boat out getting ready to take it to the shop when I noticed 3 bolts on the right hand side of the crank case had backed themselves out... Not sure how that can happen but I thought great thats why its leaking. I looked up the torque re installed the bolts torque checked all the others and thats when I found a 3.5 inch crack in the crank case. The motor has 124 Hrs on it. Is this a common problem, something that just happens, or do I have a larger issue like the guy I bought it from unloaded a lemon on me? Any ideas and help are appreciated.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:24 pm
MMT F.E.

It happens sometimes. You can get a case cover on here quite frequently for pretty cheap. Make sure you mark your bolts after you torque them so you can see if they have backed out at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm
MMT Elite Member

The gasket leaked from the bolts getting loose. The cover cracked from the engine no being repaired quick enough and the vibrations led to the crack. I will guess it cracked at the dowel pin.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]