It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 All hell breaking loose on prodrive? 
MMT Pro Member

Post All hell breaking loose on prodrive?
{long post} So i had my starter rebuilt a couple weeks ago, i ran it in the yard abunch with no problems, took it out for the first time and got a few hundred yards from the boat ramp when i stopped to put some ear plugs in for a long transit. When i engaged the prop to get goin again nothin happened. I kept tryin the engage switch and the bump switch. I got the bump switch to work in and out. I got about 100 yards from the ramp when the power wire from the ignition switch to the starter caught on fire. We paddled back and went home. I replaced the wire and it caught on fire again as soon as i connected the hot wire to the battery. Upon further inspection all the wires inside of the control box were kinda fused together. I pulled em all apart and wrapped the exposed wires in electrical tape. It started up fine but still no prop engagement. I turned it off and tried again now it wont start or anything. Ive tried abunch of times. I checked all the connections and they are all good? I also replaced the engagement switch Does any problem stand out to anyone? I was thinkin maybe the wires all got fried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:08 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: All hell breaking loose on prodrive?
Seems to me that there is something causing a short or grounding out somewhere. Something is screwed up if the wires got that hot without a fuse blowing.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:14 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:45 pm
MMT Sponsor

I've had to rewire a couple. The clutch was internally shorting out on both. Not saying for sure that ur short is the same. Newer Prodrive's have a fuse installed to prevent this. Add a fuse while you are repairing

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:00 pm
MMT Elite Member

I would do a complete re-wire. Get with Pro-Drive and give them your PD number, and hopefully they can email you some wiring schematics.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:27 am
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:44 am
MMT Pro Member

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:55 am
MMT Pro Member

I just ordered all new wires. I’ll be offshore til wednesday and i need the boast for teal opener this weekend and i dont know jack shit about clutches so im gonna leave it at a shop while im gone for the clutch then rewire when i get home. Unfortunately insurance is out of the question

Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]