It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Ya'll ready for this bone headed motor question.... 
MMT Addict

Post Ya'll ready for this bone headed motor question....
This past weekend a buddy of mine and I took my rig out to a local marsh. 27GDLT, kohler. Stopped at a Co-OP to top off the tank. Since I drove and it was my rig, he offered to top it off... I never paid any attention while he did this cause after all how effin hard can it be, right? Well one hour later i found out just how hard. My motor was running like complete n utter dogshit. Knocking something horrible under a load, but would run semi normal out of water. Just wouldnt idle and would only run choked.... Well we putter along for a bit and long story short the stupid ass ****** ******** ********* put ******* diesel in the tank... We confirmed this going back to the pump just to be sure. 7 gallon tank and was exactly 50/50 gas/diesel.

I know diesel is a lubricant vs gas being a solvent. I emptied all the lines, the carb and ran gas back through it. It was a skeeter fogger for a while but eventually returned to running strong, and idling OOW... no load. My question is since ive never actually been here, aside from changing out my oils, fuel filter, oil filter what other issue could this colossal **** up could have cause other then us missing out of a greenhead hunt in snow.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Ya'll ready for this bone headed motor question....
Others know better than I do, but I wouldn’t think anything is tore up.
I’d change oil and plugs. While plugs are out, I’d crank it a little bit to maybe get unburned diesel out of the cylinder.
Put fresh fluids and GAS and roll out!

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I agree, I would THINK you'll be fine. I fog all my engines before winter storage with fogging oil (which is a heavier oil) sprayed straight into each cylinder thru the spark plug hole and carb intake. It all just burns off with white smoke the next spring for the first minute or running. I would think diesel would be similar (especially since you cleaned all the diesel out of the fuel system).

Some far more knowledgeable engine gurus might have a different opinion...

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:28 pm
MMT Member

Lot better than gas in a diesel tank!!

I wouldn’t worry personally. Several old timers talk about mixing a little diesel with their gas in the old days for lubricant.

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]