It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Mud buddy trim not working when cold 
MMT Pro Member

Post Mud buddy trim not working when cold
The last few weeks in Michigan have been rainy snowy and cold. There have been a couple times when my trim switch did not work. I imagine water got in there and it's freezing and it's not making a good connection. After working the switch back and forth it eventually starts working. Has anybody else had this problem? What is a good way to prevent this from happening?

Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Mud buddy trim not working when cold
Go to gatortails Facebook page. They have a new video about some spray that they are using to unfreeze the throttle cables on the GTRs. It's a product you can get from the auto parts stores

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:57 pm
MMT Pro Member

Having same problem! Love to know some ideas

Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Go look at gatortails Facebook page

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:14 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Trim switch and throttle cable won't use the same spray, plus, if there's water inside the actual switch, good luck getting it out. Maybe a hair dryer for a while, then spray some electrical contact cleaner or something into it.

I think mb has relays back in the wiring harness, so you can pick up a new switch for pretty cheap (doesn't need to be one that can handle high amps like the gt one) or just order another switch or 2 from them. To test and see if it's the inside of that switch, pop it out, and touch one side of the wire to the hot wire on the middle spade. If all is well, then just replace the switch.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:39 pm
MMT Addict

If problem still exist after switch replacement, may have to remove trim motor and disassemble it. Had a couple units we worked on have water inside motor. Water would freeze and lock up motor , After setting on trailer over night in freezing temps. Trim would start working again after trim motor was heated with a torch. We took motors apart, flushed them with brake cleaner, used compressed air to dry them out. Took extra care to reseal motor case and wiring port, both trim units still working now, with out issues in freezing temps.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:55 am
MMT Pro Member

All good suggestions. I'm pretty sure water is getting underneath the switch and freezing. The switch becomes difficult to push and doesn't move like it should. I think I will first try the deicer that you squirt in the keyhole of a car lock when it gets ice inside. If that doesn't work next time it freezes I will try and pull it apart and check the connections.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 am
MMT Pro Member

I bought the deicing product that you stick in the locks on your car door. When I squirt just a little bit under the switch the ice melts nearly instantly and the trim works.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:03 am
MMT Member

My MB 35 trim motor froze up just before thanksgiving up in Michigan as well. The prop was just out of the water and the wind had me pinwheeling down the channel by the boat ramp.. lost a push pole, pride, and dinged up the trailer when I finally got it back to the ramp. Hit it with a torch and got it working but didn’t trust it enough out on the bay in those temps. It’s an older MB and talking with people those acuaters suck in the cold weather. Call michah at mudbuddy to see if there’s a cheaper upgrade than swapping out with a mercury trim which is around $1,500. Otherwise Denny Edwards is spot on with disassembling, cleaning, regreasing and re-assembling.

Good luck

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:14 am
MMT Pro Member

My problem is just that a drop of water would get under the switch then freeze. Then the switch would not work.

A small squirt of ice melt did the trick

Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]