It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Mud Motor vs. Outboard with Jack Plate 
MMT Member

Post Mud Motor vs. Outboard with Jack Plate
Hope this hasn’t been beaten to death. I am now leaning heavily toward getting a mid boat with mud motor.

I guess one could make the argument that you don’t really need a mud motor, until you really need a mud motor. But I’d rather have it and not need it is my thought at this point.

But, I am seeing many guys now running mud boats with outboards on jack plates. Is there something to that that I am missing? I am seeing it enough to ask before I buy a new rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:14 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Mud Motor vs. Outboard with Jack Plate

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm
MMT Member

Yes. I didn’t clarify.

They look cool, but I have no idea how much the advantage is over a regular outboard and how much of a disadvantage it is compared to a mud motor.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:11 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I hate the noise of my mud motor. That’s why I switched to a jack plate and outboard. I can run shallow, more shallow than I need most of the time.

I really liked the mudmotor for those hits on the river, things like stumps, gravel etc.

To me the trade was worth it. As a general rule, I think folks like the idea of a mudmotor but don’t NEED one. That was my case, but to each their own. It depends completely on where you run.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:29 pm
MMT Member

And to further clarify, I hunt the White River Bottoms in AR. Lots of runs through wide open water and bayous, but when the water is up, of course we run through the timber. Lots of cypress knees and buck brush. I don’t mind jumping out in shallow water and dragging the boat as long as it will float.

I put my current motor in shallow water drive and it does okay...my boat floats in very little water.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:53 pm
MMT 1000 Club

honestly, probly all u need is a good jackplate/outboard setup. I tunnel setup will run even shallower. a keel setup for lilies is a bad mofo as well.

most folks with mudmotors don't need them, but the cool-factor is undeniable. lol

good luck with whatever u get.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]