It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 37 EFI CC wont turn over 
MMT Member

Post 37 EFI CC wont turn over
I hope that I can relate the issue correctly and in a manner that is not confusing as hell. I have a 2016 GTR 37 EFI set up on a CC rig. It will not start with the key switch, I can turn the key to the run position, the fuel pump comes on all is well there but I have to jump the starter to get it to turn over. Was working just fine and dandy one Sat a.m. to go hunting, on Sunday before I backed it down I tried to start it and nothing. Both batts are brand new and fully charged, this isnt the issue. I took off the cover jumped the starter and went hunting, had to do the same to come back to the hill. I got to trouble shooting it with a meter and I got 12 volts to the "output" on the key switch when turned to the start position, but got nothing to the starter. Checked all fuses and wiring, no problems that I could see there, unless there is a fuse or something buried in the mtr that I didn't see. There is a relay (under the console) that has I believe 4 wires going into the plug that it goes into so I decide to check it. Came up inconclusive as to where it was bad or not so I just decided to make a jumper and try to start it again and BAM she started. So in my mind the relay must be bad, I get the part number and on the googles I go, find an exact match, only $2.97, so I order 2 since the shipping was like ten bucks either way 1 or 2 same shipping price. I get them go out plug one in and nada, so I try the second one, nada again, try the old one just to be sure that I didnt get them mixed up, nothing. I am not 100% sure but I think that this has something to do with the transmission "neutral sensor"? Idk if it is really a sensor or if it just runs thru the directional selector switch somehow?

So I guess this is a 2 part question:

1. has anyone else had this and what did you do to fix?
2. If it is an expensive or extremely time consuming fix will it hurt anything to just leave the jumper in the relay and run it like that until after the season ends, or heck leave it permanent for that matter?

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Side note, the transmission shifts fine F/N/R all do as they are supposed to.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 pm
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: 37 EFI CC wont turn over
That's actually a pretty common issue. The small yellow wire to your starter solenoid is the 12v trigger. Often on cc model boats the yellow wire looses is strength goin all the way to the solenoid. We add a relay between the yellow wire and the male spade on back of solenoid. Solenoid gets a much stronger 12v signal. You say you have a relay under console, but it should work better in the back. Also you can check and clean the pins in the grey connector near motor

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:36 pm
MMT Member

Thanks Will I will check that out tomorrow when I get back over to my shop.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Will is correct.
I had the same problem with my console.

Marcus (Maxxis85 on here) makes a handy little soleniod jumper that took care of my problem. My drop him a PM.
I have had it for about 3 years with no starter problems since.

Kool-Aid Brigade

www.southernfowler.com

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 am
MMT Member

Thanks for the help guys. I got it figured out, I think. To begin with I believe that it was a bad relay. While I was digging around in the wiring and trying to chase it down initially I must have pulled a wire loose, which is why when I put the new relay in it still didn't work. I replaced the pulled wire and bam she fired. Just for the sake os S's and G's I put the old one back in and got nothing. So while I was "fixing" the first problem I created a secondary issue. All is well now. Thanks WillC and 3CK.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]