It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Prodrive Powerhead Removal 
MMT Member

Post Prodrive Powerhead Removal
I have searched past post about the removal of the powerhead on a prodrive. I have to remove the motor to fix an oil leak at the sump gasket on my 2007 Vanguard 32HP. Just looking for a little more clarification on exactly what the process is for this. Besides basic tools is there anything that is a must have for the removal? Appreciate the help!

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Prodrive Powerhead Removal

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:32 am
MMT Member

Post Re: Prodrive Powerhead Removal
I just did this a year ago for the same problem.

First, drain all the oil - easy to forget. You'll need either an engine hoist or a come-a-long and a sturdy beam/tree. Remove the bottom bolts on the plates that sandwhich the clutch and then you can start to lift, gently. Mine basically slid out of the lower unit, but I believe that was more luck than anything. Once it starts coming out though you can lift it up faster. After that, you'll need to remove the adapter - it's 4 torx bolts if memory servers. Then you'll need to remove the bolt in the bottom of the output shaft from the block, then you can remove your clutch. My clutch was pretty on there, but between liquid wrench and a 4 jaw puller it came off easy enough. From there you can remove the plate that the tiller arm is on connected to the block.

After I had all that stuff off, I lowered the block and flipped it on it's top so I could remove the sump and change out the gasket. You'll want to use some kind of a pump to get the remaining oil out of the block, there will be some left and likely gasket pieces if yours sucked in like mine did. After that, just go in reverse to put it back together. Fill it up with oil, run it for a bit, then change the oil again to make sure you get any contaminants out that may have entered the block from having it apart.

I think that's all... It was a surprisingly easy job. I'm no mechanic, but I'm cheap and wanted to try it myself first. Glad I did, learned a lot about my motor.

PS - I watched this video on YouTube to get my head around what to do once I had the block off the frame. The guy is ridiculous, but the info is very helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7v1B8ebCA8&t=1340s

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]