It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Scavenger Backwater Motors Any Good? 
MMT Member

Post Scavenger Backwater Motors Any Good?
Thinking of buying a used Scavenger Backwater Motors (Iowa), model SB7K (72" beam) which has been upgraded to 10 HP and throwing it on an Alumacraft model 1436 light. Anyone have any experience/opinions on these motors? Does this combo look like an ok idea? thanks!

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:46 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Scavenger Backwater Motors Any Good?
I got my hands on a 11hp Honda like 15 years ago. Shimmed it and tuned it per the directions, was slower than my 6.5 mudbuddy longtail. I’d actually recommend one of the thai kit longtails over the scavenger. All of this was on a tin can 1436.

The prop is like an auger that’s been modified but collects weeds extremely well. Prop spins in the opposite direction of a normal longtail due to the belt drive. It does have really good torque, but that’s the only thing in the pro column. The hoola hoop handle is dumb. If you disregard this advice and get it, change the handle. Also, I’d like to know how people were greasing the things, no zerks anywhere. Most homebuilds have a better finish than scavengers. Looks like a high school shop project that a blind kid completed. Starting them sucks because the motor is literally facing the wrong way when your running, which also kills your ears because the muffler is pointing directly at you like 24 inches away. When the motor is in the resting position it throws the oil level off because the extreme angle of tilt. Just a really poorly thought out bastard mud motor.

Get a backwater, go devil or mudbuddy.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:34 am
MMT Member

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:03 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Or copperhead.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:05 pm
MMT Pro Member

So I just looks these Scavenger motors up and they’re very strange. The engine is mounted backwards, it has that goofy hoop handle , and it looks like they cut a post hole auger into sections for props. I would steer clear of anything that radically different from the established already successful designs. There are really 2 setups that work well already, American style longtails and Thai style longtails. If you’re using it for anything remotely tough on the motor I would go with something from ANY of the major American longtail brands and you will be happy with it. The Thai kits may work in their conditions but they don’t hold up in a lot of the places we hunt around here.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]