It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 another trim issue on MB 
MMT Pro Member

Post another trim issue on MB
Last summer I had to have my mercury trim replaced. As long as I had the motor I would see little oil slicks coming from the original trim. It was replaced under warranty.

Even with the replacement trim I would see that oil slick, and know this one stopped working as well. Just like the last one up stopped working, but down is fine. Just to make sure it is not the switch I did jump the wires. Up still did not work, but I could hear it clicking.

I have a one year warranty on the frame, and two on the motor. The frame warranty is up. I am guessing this would fall under frame. So I will likely have to fix this one myself.

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:07 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: another trim issue on MB
I'm trying to follow you, your saying that the trim unit has some oil under it. And up won't work but down will work?

Ok, I don't know which MB you have, but I'm currently working on a Sport V stage 2 with the beefed up lower unit. It too has a mercury trim unit on it. Blue and green wires, one is up, one is down. they are also wire through separate relays (merc relays) then to the switch. I rewired the whole motor and pull all the relays out to mount them in a better location. But anyway, that left me just the green and blue wires. To insure that the trim pump worked, get a battery close or have some extended leads. Place the green on the + and touch the blue on the - battery terminal. Trim should move. Now swap them, place green on - and touch blue on +, trim should move the other way. If they don't move, then you have a trim pump problem. If they do move in both directions, move on to next step.

Be mindful that the ble and green wires should have waterproof quick connects so your not cutting ans splicing wires.

Plug back into relays. DO NOT HOOK UP SWITCH. Repeat the process. Find the power leads on the relay that make the relay energize. Do the same thing, touch - battery with green side and blue side on -, swap. If it all works fine, then the relays are good. If you just hear the clicking noise, then you have isolated the problem to that relay. If the trim motor goes up and down, move to next step. If trim motor doesn't move in either direction, then both relays are shot.

Finally hook up switch, repeat process. If it works, then you had a loose wire and you just made up the connection. If it only works in 1 direction or neither direction, the switch is bad, because you have just traced out your steps.

This sound like alot, but this entire process takes about 10 min top. As far as the oil leak, its probably a seal.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:06 am
MMT Elite Member

Good trouble shooting explanation banded.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:28 am
MMT Pro Member

Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 am
MMT Pro Member

Hey Banded.

How long are the leads coming off the trim motor before the waterproof quick connectors?

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:58 am
MMT 1000 Club

mine are about 10" or so. maybe longer. The entire section of wire is in a black wire loom to protect it. Only about 2-3" of the wires were exposed at the connections.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:11 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:42 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:47 pm
MMT Elite Member

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:13 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:25 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I got em straight. Relay issue.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm
MMT Pro Member

Back in business. Relay showed up in 2 days. Cost me less than 20 bucks to fix. Thanks for the help and education banded.

It would have cost me twice that much just in gas to get it to my nearest dealer.

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:11 pm
MMT Elite Member

I always thought banded was good for something... Haha

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:04 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]