It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Prodrive clutch circuit  
MMT Pro Member

Post Prodrive clutch circuit
I was coming up to the boat ramp and hit the momentary switch and nothing happened. No clutch engagement. I then pulled the pto switch out and nothing happened.
I flipped out.
I started pushing the momentary quickly and pulling out and pushing in the pto switch and then the clutch engaged.
For you guys that know how this thing is wired will one switch not working keep the other from working. I don’t know if they are parallel or series. Also does the clutch have a relay or does it just run straight through the switch’s.
I read a couple of threads that were similar but they didn’t mention anything about both switchs quitting at the same time.

It’s gotten dark or I would have taken everything apart and done some investigating so picking yalls brain is all I can do for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:27 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Prodrive clutch circuit
What year?

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:30 am
MMT Pro Member

That would be some valuable info. Sorry.

It’s a 2013 gen lll with the ecotron efi.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:51 am
MMT Elite Member

If the PTO switch goes bad, the momentary will still work. Look at the wires that go to the clutch, down close to the clutch, take the "diaper" off to find them. Black and purple with spade connectors. They just plug in male and female. They can come loose or get corroded at times. You can also check your voltage there and if you have voltage with either the PTO or momentary switch engaged then chances are the clutch has gone bad. It's an electromagnet that engages the metal plates.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:59 am
MMT Pro Member

I was hoping you weren’t going to say possibly a clutch. I will check what you suggested when I get home.
It only has about 160 hours but mechanical parts can go out anytime.
Is there a good replacement clutch other that going back to PD.
Also is the gen lll clutch beefier than most or is it the same.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:48 am
MMT Elite Member

They tried a different clutch later in the years and went back to the original one.
Average lifespan is 200 hours.
There's a cheaper one online if you google Prodrive outboard clutch but I have never personally tried one.
https://xtremeope.com/p/xtreme-replacem ... ve-pd-038/

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:07 pm
MMT Pro Member

I checked all the connections. Everything seems good. The clutch is engaging every time. I may up grade the connections for the clutch. There wasn’t any corrosion but it could have still lost connection.
I talked to Travis at PD and like you said there were different clutch’s used during that time. I have what he called “the black clutch”. It requires a couple of extra parts to convert it to the new clutch but from what he explained I don’t think it’s nothing to it.

I sure do appreciate the help. Thanks.

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]