It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Coils/flywheel on cdi question  
MMT Elite Member

Post Coils/flywheel on cdi question
Saw a boat for sale browsing my wife's Facebook. 2013. Briggs. Stage 2. Builder sheet said 20 amp charging syetem with cut flywheel and advanced timing. So on a cdi the charging is 2o/50 and the coils limit rpms. I'm assuming if you mess with the flywheel and/or advance timing that you are reverting back to non cdi charging and doing away with Rev limit?
Thx

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:18 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Coils/flywheel on cdi question
This

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:54 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:02 am
MMT Pro Member

On a cdi system they are rebroaching flywheel and using non cdi coils which still allows 20/50 charging and no rev limit

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:24 am
MMT Elite Member

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:39 am
MMT Elite Member

Any reason to shy away from a motor that this has been done to? Seems as though he's made everything revert to the the old 20 amp charging. I know what advancing the timing does in regards to sparking faster during the stroke but just not familiar with any instances (personally) in the Briggs world

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:24 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:05 pm
MMT Elite Member

Well cb that's kinda the problem. Dude doesn't know what he's got. Ricky Aucoin (, the boat builder) built the motor and he bought it from him. I told the guy to put me in touch with Mr. Aucoin so I could talk directly to him. Motor has less than 80 hrs. So if I can talk to R A, I might be looking at it seriously. Guy is trying to find his contact info, but if anyone has it from mmt, please send it my way. Thx!

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:11 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Don't know how close you are, but would be pretty easy to check with a volt meter. The 0/20 will have no charging at idle and will slowly climb as you lean on the throttle.

I'm sure there is an easy telltale on the rectifier too. If he could post a pic, someone who spent any time at all messin with em would know the difference pretty quickly.

It would not make a ton of sense to cut the flywheel AND switch to the old charging system. If you wanted the old coils and old charging system, you would just use the old flywheel too. I don't even think the 0/20 system will function with the newer flywheel.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:18 pm
MMT Elite Member

Therein lies the issue. I be in Ga (and Arkansas a good bit this time of yr) This guy lives 30 min north of Houston TX

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:23 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Get him to take a picture of the regulator. Itll have a red wire and either 2 or 4 yellow wires coming out of it. If it has 4, it's the 20/50. I find it highly unlikely they cut the flywheel, swapped the coils, and then put the old 20a alternator in and not swap the regulator, so if you see 4 yellow wires, it's the 20/50 charging system.

#CFFITR
#GhostBoat
#Whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:41 pm
MMT Elite Member

2 yellow, 1 white. Def a 20 amp. So did they even make a 20 amp non cdi in 2013?

Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The one thing that it to worry about the older systems or having a NON-CDI engine is like others mentioned the lack there of a rev limit. Depending on the dumbass on the throttle, over rev'n the engine with stock internals is never good. Would definitely check changing system like others mentioned as well as leak down test for any valve issues. It really doesn't matter if it is non cdi, I ran my for years with no limiter. depending on the "mods", it may never get to 5000 unless he hit a sandbar or something.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:01 am
MMT Elite Member

Dude don't know what he's got. Can't answer any of my questions and now saying it's a 2010 frame and a 2013 motor. I'm out

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:33 am
MMT 1000 Club

one thing JB, if it is indeed converted back to a non cdi, and he does have the .310 or basically the old MOD 1, if you stick a 6* timing key in it, it will be a beast at .050" decking and if the ports look good. I wouldn't walk completely away before doing some digging.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:29 am
MMT Elite Member

Well that's the thing. He can't answer any of my questions and I have no way to talk to the guy who built it. Ricky Aucoin. Hard to deal with a guy who bought a motor but knows absolutely nothing about what he has.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34 am
MMT Elite Member

It's on a Facebook post I found on my wife's acct. Dude has a 16 60 go devil hull. 07 I think. Says the boat hits 41 with new prop. 36 with wore out. So you can see why I'm a little concerned [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:39 am
MMT 1000 Club

ah yeah, no prodrive is hitting that, gears limit that. I've hit 35 bumped 36 with my older briggs non cdi but was scared to hold it there due to stupid rpms.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:45 am
MMT Elite Member

I don't know about that SD, I'm 99% sure the motor I have now would push my old boat to the 40mph zone. It ran 35 with a 4750 limit. If he's spinning it up, it'll get there.

The rods would be my concern, everything else is the old school works for higher rpm.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:18 pm
MMT Elite Member

Will you remember my old pd and 1644 go devil hull. That thing was super heavy and a round chine. Rode pretty deep in the water in the back. The motor on this boat is a Gator tail, but I can't see any lawn mower motor pushing a boat like that ("round chine and cut back transom) anywhere sniffing 40

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:24 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:59 am
MMT Elite Member

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]