It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 So efi the good, the bad, the ugly  
MMT Elite Member

Post So efi the good, the bad, the ugly
Looking around now it's hard to find a carb motor. Always been a little leary of the efi stuff after the first ones came out. Found a gtr (16 model) with new efi harness and whatever bugs worked out by a Briggs dealer. 110 hrs. How's everybody's efi been holding up? I know I can take a mikuni apart on the water. Also, mods wise..... When you drop a cam and put worked heads on one, is there a way to retune yourself nowadays? I've seen mention of dobeck tuners, don't think I want to go with the bps stuff. What's the lowdown on all this stuff? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:01 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: So efi the good, the bad, the ugly
Hmmmm..... Maybe somebody in the know will see this bored at work on Monday.
Looking like reprogrammed ecu or tuner like bps sells.

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:52 pm
MMT Elite Member

The ECU can be tuned now, stay away from the plug and play tuners if you can, they can be troublesome. Mainly because the wires are cheap and break. But overall, the EFI is the way to go.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:47 am
MMT Elite Member

Thank ya sir!

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:42 am
MMT Sponsor

I think each time a poll is done the efi wins, lol. Many folks still prefer a good carb engine though

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:47 am
MMT Elite Member

We shall see. Picking the boat up tomorrow and getting up with Bayou Surface Drives on about Feb 1 to tweak it up

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 am
MMT F.E.

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:44 am
MMT Elite Member

People said the same thing about cars and trucks for years. Technology is better, they had some hiccups in the beginning like anything else but it's all solid stuff now.
I'm not personally aware of any ECU's actually crashing, the main problems have been wiring. Stuff break, rattling loose, chafing, etc... Go ahead and plan on using an entire bag of zip ties securing the wire harnesses and you won't have any problems. hahaha

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:26 pm
MMT F.E.

Post So efi the good, the bad, the ugly

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:46 pm
MMT Elite Member

Here's my take. I'm pretty much always within a phone call or tow. I hunt arkansas rivers where you see a boat every 10 min on a slow day. Same with lakes here in Ga. Little bit on the coast but cell always works. Worst case scenario.....i get pulled in and yank the efi off and put a mikuni back on. Spend a few hundred. Ive never out a mud boat where I couldn't get yanked in to the ramp

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:54 pm
MMT Elite Member

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]