It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Oil Pickup Screen 
MMT Pro Member

Post Oil Pickup Screen
23hp vanguard - when I did my cam install I noticed the oil pickup screen was separate from the tube. It floated up and down. I thought it was by design because the break looked clean all the way around.

Watched a video last night of Nick Willey’s short block build and that is how I learned it’s actually broken and not designed that way.

I have 25 hours on the motor since finding this out so I’m assuming that it isn’t effecting the actual oil pick up process. Can anyone confirm that thought? Is it worth going back into to replace just that piece? Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:19 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Oil Pickup Screen
It shouldnt be moving. I would open it back up, but if it's behaving, that's your call.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 am
MMT Pro Member

Im pretty sure it’s picking up plenty of oil because filter and cooler get warm fairly quick as oil circulates. I’d assume Low oil pressure should be my main concern at this point (if I’m sucking air at any point from the tube not being fully submerged in the sump). Do you think the motor would run 25 hours mostly at high rpm with low oil pressure? I haven’t noticed any abnormal sounds coming from it.

I’ll definitely open it up and replace it, just trying to make a call on how critical timing is. Whether I need to do it before next outing or if I can wait till it’s convenient.

Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:41 am
MMT 1000 Club

I dont think it's urgent, but it's a part not attached like its supposed to be, and those oil sensors have been known to go wonky. I wouldnt stress it, but personally i wouldn't put it off for a couple years lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:51 pm
MMT Pro Member

It’s an older 23 without an oil sensor. And yeah I’ll get back into in a month or two, just didn’t want to have to miss out on fishing the next few weeks while it’s good. Nick W texted me back and he agreed with your statement. Said that most engines running around with any kind of hours on them are likely cracked too. Just address it in the relative near future. Thanks for the .02 Russ

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]