It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 40 EFI upgrade with even more heat added 
MMT Pro Member

Post 40 EFI upgrade with even more heat added
we getting ready to market our new EFI "High Torque" upgrade that will work just as well on the 37's but developed on the new 40's. unlike most other upgrades offered here and there, this engine utilizes all stock internals except for a custom ground "low lift" torque cam we have made for us that is easy on the valvetrain. we use stock "unwelded" heads with stock valve train except with mild hand worked porting. we do use a larger throttle body with a custom adapter. this engine never runs below 70 lb. ft. torque from 2500-4700 rpm and up to almost 80 lb.ft. at mid engine rpm. it has a decent idle at 1000 rpm and can be set up or down from there somewhat depending on what the customer might want. it pulls like a mule from idle all the way up. it will be offered with a K&N filter as standard but the stock air filter setup will be offered for an additional charge. it will sit up about 1 1/2" higher than stock but it is what it is. our intended customer base will be people looking for get up and go for boats with heavy loads such as heading out to the hunting camp, commercial fisherman, etc. with the right wheel it should also really run on light boats for people who just like to ride. it won't be offered as a kit with parts but only available as a complete package that is dyno run and tuned before delivery. we can sell you a new engine or rework your current engine. we are flexible with that. take a look at the dyno chart and there should be no question about performance. anyone who may be interested can pm me here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:33 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: 40 EFI upgrade with even more heat added
Whats the cost do this?

What speed increases are yall seeing?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

we havent finalized any pricing as of yet but it will be a premium priced upgrade but we think well worth it. thats why we don't sell parts kits as each motor will be assembled and run on the dyno to assure it is right before the customer gets it. we are doing testing on a couple of engines now. as far as speed is concerned we don't deal in speed numbers. we sell torque and horsepower and every customer has different needs and setups and its up to them to work with the power of the engine to get it to perform the best for their individual needs

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:54 pm
MMT Pro Member

as a footnote to the power of the engine, this particular one is a test model that i bumped up some just to see how it would perform and there is still some left in it if i want. when we finalize specs for engines to sell they will probably be down on torque and hp a few clicks just to help with longevity but they will still be reasonably close to the figures i showed. we are also working on some less expensive upgrades to the efi engines that will allow a good increase in power at a lower cost for someone who doesn't need an all out hop up but wants something extra. there are plenty of these upgrades available all over but we are taking a little different approach on some to enhance how the power is enhanced and put to use.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:11 pm
MMT Pro Member

When you say premium priced i don't understand.

Premium price can from 1k - 10k.

Since you only sell built engines. Do yall have a warranty on your builds and aftermarket parts?
How does Briggs warranty work (if still under warranty) with yall work?

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

there are a couple more people involved with this project to make things happen and we havent decided on final pricing and such. i do the r&d work, some of the upgrading and dyno work. others are involved in the actual engine repair and assembly and we all work together to produce a product. i know there will be a warranty on the engines but can't say exactly what it is at the moment. we are testing a couple of engines right now to know what they will and won't do. if it looks like the motors wont handle these upgrades i will back them down some and go from there. when all is said and done and they go for sale the customer will end up with a quality setup or we wont sell it. we want to be able to run every finished engine before the customer gets it to make sure it is good to go and that is why we don't sell just parts. that being said there are always problems with the briggs engines from the factory since their quality control is crap and i think anyone who has used these things for awhile will agree. they seem to create their own problems regardless of who happens to work on them.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:00 am
MMT Pro Member

Where is your shop located?

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

What speeds at you seeing on the hull you are running, and what size is said hull?

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:31 pm
MMT Pro Member

earlier question in the Morgan City area. as far as speed i can't tell you anything because i dont do the water testing, only the upgrade work. the other couple guys have had the engines for a few days and i haven't heard anything back yet. they are going to run them to make sure everything is good to go and then worry about changing wheels and such to experiment a bit. they have regular jobs to so all i can do is wait for feedback.

another piece of information that might help some of you with your engines, to compare apples to apples, the graph i posted first was run with a special built exhaust in my shop. i basically use a gutted stock muffler to fit up to the engine that then dumps into a full size chevy truck muffler so things are quiet in the shop. it is quiet but also free flowing. i have it necked down just a bit to provide a little back pressure to the engine. this next graph shows the engine being run with a BPS Q muffler to be more real world and compare. the engine still runs and pulls fine but is down a little because of the restriction to make things quieter. a stock muffler could be used if needed and it would still run fine but my guess it would drag it down another 3-5 horsepower or so. even at that amount it would still be a strong engine. i thought i would just provide that so people can compare something they might have

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Speed with certain hulls will tell if the build is strong. I have ran race cars for years. Sometimes a 400 hp car outruns a 700 hp car. Depends on the set up. Your speed empty and loaded will be the tell tale. And as far as dependability, you Won’t know that until you have customers that run your engines for multiple seasons. Only then will you know if it is truly dependable. My motor was built by jeremiah williams in Houma and outruns pretty much whatever gets on side of me and has had zero problems for 3 full seasons. That’s dependability.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:23 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Honestly, a dyno result can tell the tale. Speed is a combination of prop tuning, boat and load, water depth, and current. I probably could've easily had a prop tuned for more speed, but my setup never passed 37. Put 4 people and too much hunting gear (we have a problem with packing light) and it would still run well. Put the wrong prop on it for the boat and load, and it may have gone faster/slower and may have hauled a load better or worse, and never told me that much about the engine capabilities.

#CFFITR
#mudmotor>physics

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 pm
MMT Pro Member

you're completely right Russ. we're only selling a well running engine upgrade package and whatever the customer decides to use it on or how he uses it is beyond our control. the setup on the boat has everything to do with how the engine performs on any particular boat and every boat is different. you can take the best running engine in the world and it won't perform if the customer doesn't use it correctly, plain and simple.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 pm
MMT Sponsor

Solid numbers. Every customer says they want the most power with the most reliability. Its up to the builder to decide whats the limit for that engine on said boat and predict how a customer will take care of it. Those numbers are good for low 30’s to low 40’s depending on a shit load of variables. I trust the 40 shortblock with a few more ponies than the 37. Its not about the most power we can make, its about what we call safe.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:53 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 am
MMT F.E.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:31 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
MMT F.E.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:26 pm
MMT Pro Member

i think you're right Will about the blocks. i ran and fiddled with 2 preproduction versions of the 40 motor with Briggs before this one and all three were different. "supposedly" this new 40 engine has a better block than previous models but i guess that is yet to be seen. personally i think this engine in the 60hp range is about all that will be practical to use and still be hopefully reliable. we are testing a couple of engines to see if they work out or handgrenade. that is also yet to be seen. if they do self destruct i will back it down some and try again. 65-70 hp is easy to achieve but they won't last so we don't want to fool with those. the only application i see for something like that would be short duration runs such as drag racing and such. many people fail to realize this is an air cooled engine and can only cool itself so much for the rated power and then will overheat and fail quickly when that threshold is realized. if this were a liquid cooled motor things would be entirely different. i've been working on this one awhile trying to get the torque and hp numbers where i wanted them for the use intended. if testing shows good down the line like we are hoping, i think this engine will perform well in a number of applications provided the customer has his set up right for his application. if not it wont perform well nor will anyone elses engine either.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:37 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yeah it does. Pm me your phone number and I’ll text it to you. My boat runs that all day long with a load. Everyone around here knows how my boat runs.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:40 pm
MMT Sponsor

I think chauvins boat is a good example of a rig thats dialed in. He probably has more prop testing and experience than any of the rest of us. For regular folk getting dialed in on a boat that is actually flat on the bottom is rare, but its the difference between average and fast. The engine is 1/2 of the recipe the rig setup is the other 1/2

Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Will is correct. I’ve ran over 20 wheels on my boat with multiple pitches and cupping. I have found what works for my boat and it’s dialed in perfectly. I also have a hull that was specifically built around my engine to haul ass. The boat and motor are perfectly dialed in for each other as well as the wheel. I would be more than happy to send anyone videos of the speeds I run loaded and empty. I tried posting a video to this thread but it didn’t work. The boat runs exactly what I say it does, it’s just a fast rig and like will said, I have it dialed in to a T on the wheel and on the tune jeremiah put on it.

Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:23 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Throw it on youtube and drop the link.....

I want to know your definition of load? are yall 150 lb guys or 250 lb, because 4 big boys and gear in a 1848 at 37 mph. I would like to see that

2014 PRODIGY 1754 (#19) 2014 5500 BAMF HDR RETRO SOLD

2010 Gator Tail Gator Series 18x54 pushed by a 2020 40GTRXD

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I’m 6’1”, 235 and none of my buddy’s are under my size. Pm me your number and I’ll text you some videos

Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:47 am
MMT 1000 Club

Plug into YouTube “Fast Gatortail pushing a load (Williams performance engines)” and you can see the video on youtube

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:24 am
MMT F.E.

Post 40 EFI upgrade with even more heat added

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:17 am
MMT 1000 Club

There is another guy to my left as well as roughly 30 jug lines and two ice chests of catfish. Since you are hellbent on not believing what I am telling you, I’ll try and take a video this weekend when we go teal hunting. If that’s not enough, then come race me for cash

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

you know it's really frickin amazing how someone can make a post here and before you know it, things have turned into pissing contest between people that has nothing to do with the original post. no wonder so many good people have left here along with other similar sights because of all the bullshit you have to listen to instead of some constructive input which is why so many people come here only to leave in disgust. my post was simply to show what was possible as far as power output of a particular engine setup that people are using at this point in the game. not once did i mention any particular boat, drive unit or any speed of anything. it was merely to show what was possible with the 37 or 40 efi engines to get a good flat torque curve with good horsepower so people could set up their own boats for their particular needs since everyone is different. i also said more than once that this was a trial in process and i wasn't sure if the engine would hold up after testing and i made no claims that it would but it just seems some people just can't wait to find something negative with everything and everyone for whatever reason i don't know. hopefully as i said before the engine will hold up after testing. if it does it does, if it doesn't it doesn't, plain and simple. i will throw in one particular use that i think this motor will perform well with is the inboard mud boat crowd which we have down here where i'm at that i don't see mentioned much. with a good flat torque curve it should serve them well if testing shows that it holds up as we hope. other than that ya'll go ahead and keep on arguing and talking shit amongst yourselves if thats what turns your crank

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:34 am
MMT Pro Member

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:23 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]