It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Mud runner throttle lever help needed 
MMT Member

Post Mud runner throttle lever help needed
Hi all, hey I have a question about my longtail throttle lever. I have a Swamp Runner with a 212 predator. The throttle lever is clunky and the linkage on the motor isn’t much better. Is there a replacement throttle lever that you’d suggest, also is there a replacement for the clunky linkage on the engine? I was thinking some sort of lever like a bike brake lever or a thumb throttle or a motorcycle style twist throttle. The handle tube looks to be about 7/8” diameter if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:51 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Mud runner throttle lever help needed
So I might have answered my own question but I want to run it by you. I found this kit with a twist throttle. What do you think about this kit and what do you think about twist throttle?

https://www.ombwarehouse.com/7-8-thrott ... nkage.html

Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:28 pm
MMT Member

So nobody has any input on whether a twist throttle is a good way to go or if there's a better option?

Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:54 am
MMT 1000 Club

I would not suggest a twist throttle on a longtail. I have used a clutch lever for a 90cc dirtbike and it was fine for a throttle lever, but again, i don't recommend for a longtail. Due to the extra length and 1 to 1 ratio, a longtail can do interesting things when it bites with all that leverage. If you are holding a throttle lever or twist throttle, and it bites and pulls away from you, it can cause you to add throttle unintentionally. I've had a few different sizes of longtails over the years, experimented with the position of the throttle lever mount, and found that being able to shove and hold it with my wrist while hanging on to the grip gave me plenty of control without making it dangerous when hitting something or digging in the mud.

As small as that long tail is, it would probably not be a huge deal, but it's probably on a small and somewhat unstable boat, which means i still wouldn't do it myself.

Try it, just don't try it at 4 in the morning and over cold water.

#CFFITR
#mudmotor>physics

Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:15 am
MMT Member

Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:08 pm
MMT Pro Member

Buy a backwater lever from their site. I use them on the long tails I build. Much better than using a brake lever style like I did on my first one. Set the throttle to a spot and it stays there until you adjust it. Can’t say it enough to wear your kill switch, if your digging and it bites it will throw you out of the boat. Almost happened to me several times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:10 am
MMT Member

Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:35 pm
MMT Pro Member

Haha, I’m in WV so I know about no one having mud motors. The lever design is one handed and I’d go so far as to say the paddle needs two hands more often because of needing the throttle going while your digging out of a spot or something and having to hold it down while your horsing the motor around. IMO the lever backwater offers us the only way to run a longtail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]