It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Mudbuddy 44 Black Death - Idles at WOT 
MMT Member

Post Mudbuddy 44 Black Death - Idles at WOT
Here’s the story, a few months ago was picking up decoys and bumped a tree while idling; knocking the carb off and damaging the throttle cable. The carb had no damage and just came out of the rubber fitting. Replaced the throttle cable, adjusted the idle, and it was running perfectly. Hunted it a few weeks ago with no issues. Went out this morning and it cranked up and ran fine to the spot. Easy ride between 3800 RPMs and idling around. I turned the motor on and off a few times while setting decoys.

After I finished setting the decoys, I cranked the motor and it immediately revved to wide open throttle (not in gear). I shut it off and check the handle, throttle cable, and pulleys; nothing was stuck. Cranked it again and WOT a second time. Pulled the air filter off and squeezed the handle, the gate valve raises and lowers smoothly and appears to not have issues. (The gate valve is about 1/2” open when the handle is released). Tried it with and without the choke pulled and no change.

The one thing that seems out of wack is the idle adjustment screw. It is very easy to adjust and spin. However, it used to be pretty difficult to adjust it even 1/8th of a turn.

Any ideas? Also, any recommendations on a good mechanic? I’m located in San Antonio, TX.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:00 pm
MMT Sponsor

Post Re: Mudbuddy 44 Black Death - Idles at WOT
Try backing that idle screw way down. Check that the back of carb boot has sealant. Carb boot dry rotted a leak? Intake gaskets are another thing to check. Getting extra air in somewhere

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:49 pm
MMT Member

I’ll check those today. About how far up should the gate valve be opened at idle? Watching some videos and it looks like it should be barely open. Mine is open about 1/4” or more. I’ll post a pic here shortly.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:02 am
MMT 1000 Club

I'll take a picture of mine shortly so you have an example.

#CFFITR
#mudmotor>physics

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

See if that helps. Mine idles fine at 1150, and is on an engine with much kore compression than yours.20210124_131841.jpg

#CFFITR
#mudmotor>physics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:22 pm
MMT Member

Thanks, mine was stuck open way more than that. I just rebuilt the carb, adjusted the needle height bc my plugs were pretty dark, and added a new air filter/prefilter.

Inside the carb was pretty clean, no issues that I could find. However when I would open the throttle sometimes it would get stuck. Cleaned the throttle return spring on the outside of the carb and no issues now. I think it was binding due to some corrosion and the paint that Prodigy sprayed on the motor. Throttle is smooth now, adjusted the accelerator pump needle to spray the correct direction. Idles fine now and can’t recreate the issue. Hopefully this helps anyone in the future, check the throttle return spring first!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:37 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for the suggestions and photo. Definitely helped! Will could you PM your contact info. I want to get a once over down on my motor sometime this off season.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]