It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 27 HP Mudbuddy Long tail piston scoring 
MMT Member

Post 27 HP Mudbuddy Long tail piston scoring
I’ve got a 2009 MB LT w/ 27 Kohler command pro. I noticed I’ve blown the headgasket for obvious reasons and upon replacing it I’ve noticed that the cylinder is scored. I can take some pictures but it seems about 5-8 lines that are just noticeable with the finger nails. Is this ok to just replace the head gasket and let it go or do I need to have some work done on the cylinder? Thanks!!

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:49 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 27 HP Mudbuddy Long tail piston scoring
If they aren't just visible, and your nail catches them, it's time to have the cylinder at least honed, but i suggest bored to the next piston size. Manufacturers note that in their service manuals for the engine. Probably .020", and they'll sell a oem piston with that difference in bore. If you insist on not reboring and buying new pistons, pull the pistons, get new rings, and hone the cylinders, at least (not my first suggestion, but might get you some life out of it without buying new pistons).

#CFFITR
#mudmotor>physics

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:12 pm
MMT Member

I figured as much, I just wanted to hear it from someone else ha. Thank you for the reply!

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:00 pm
MMT Pro Member

I had a similar issue on my 23. Previous owner left it outside and had some decent rust spots on the walls. Cleaned it up and still had some areas that I could catch with my nail at TDC. Found this out before the 2019 season and didn’t have time to oversize the bores before the season so I decided to run it. Did a leak down test and was under 8% (and still am) at TDC. still plan to bore the cylinders but it still running fine at this point.

All that to say you’d probably be okay running it like that but the better choice is to oversize like Russ said if time and money allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:17 pm
MMT Member

Thats the dilemma I am currently in. I need this thing to finish up oyster season, then turkey season. I may just put it back together and let it ride until this summer and address those issues then. I am not very mechanically inclined and am stumbling through this thing with some guidance of a few friends and Youtube. I just hate to throw it back together when ive got it this broken apart if something needs to be fixed. Im sure the machining isn't going to be cheap, nor the pistons and everything else involved. I wish I could afford another one but it aint happening. Ill put it back together and do a compression/ leak down check. Thanks

Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:42 am
MMT 1000 Club

Pm sent

#CFFITR
#mudmotor>physics

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:45 pm
MMT Pro Member

Piggybacking on the OP issues as I have the same issues. can any small engine mechanic bore and hone cylinders and gap the rings? Or is this better suited for a specialty person? Any rough price range for this work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:20 am
MMT 1000 Club

Anyone can do it. It's not a complicated endeavor.

#CFFITR
#mudmotor>physics

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]