It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 1:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 What size to get? 
MMT Member

Post What size to get?
got a 14 ft flat bottom and just not sure what size motor would be best for it. Not really worried about speed just want best all around for such a small boat. Also, since the boat is only 14 feet, would a long-tail be better that a sd???

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:47 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Re: What size to get?
About a 16 lt would be bout the most I'd put on it. Really depends if your transom will hold a bigger motor. If you could build your transom up to hold a 23sd, it would probably fly. Although it might sink the ass end of the boat. If you have access to both try em and see what happens. If your gonna have to buy one to test it, no bigger than a 16 in my opinion. 13 would probably work fine too.

We had a 14 ft riveted jon with a 13 lt. It worked fine. We destroyed the boat, but while the boat was floatin, the package worked well together.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:26 pm
MMT F.E.

x2 on cb5331

depending on width of boat (you didn't mention) a 16 would probably be about perfect for that boat (and max). Had two 14's one 13, one 16-both handled fine... LT would be the choice. Watch your transom tho... Make sure it can handle the additional weight and more important the additional torque that having the mud motor puts on the transom...

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:35 pm
MMT Member

ive got a 1448 flat boat and ive got a 23 gdsd and it handles juss fine and a padna of mine has a 1442 with a 27 beavertail and he doesnt have any problems.. ike they said long as your transom is good then 23 should do fine...i can run 25 by myself in mine and tap 26 sometimes

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:52 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Just another reminder. If you don't have access to try the motors first, I would not go bigger than a 16. Some boats will float the bigger motors fine, but some just won't.

We bought a 1442 last year with intentions of putting a 24 lt on it. That damn motor almost sunk that boat. With that motor, and 1 person in the back to drive, there was about an inch of clearance before water came over the back. A man in the front leveled it out a bit, but it was still too much drag in the back.

Anyways just because the other guys 14ft boat floats the 23 does not mean yours will. And just because the 24 almost sunk our, does not mean the same would happen to you. But if ya can't try em first, go with the 16, or even 13. Your more than likely gonna want a new package soon anyway. This stuff is very addictive, and enough is NEVER enough (for most of us).

Good luck

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:11 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for the advice. The boats only 36 wide so that wont help anything. Sound like the 16 lt would be the best way to go. Thanks again.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:49 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Glad we could help. I'd beef up that transom as much as possible also. These thangs got a lot of torque. And all that rockin back in forth liftin the motor in and out of the water puts a lot of stress on em.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:23 pm
MMT Member

Yeah i had a 9.5 johnson on it but just want to try a mm. We'll see how it goes.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:00 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

The one I started was a 1436 and had a 7.5 johnson. It was my uncle's boat and I used it all through my childhood. When I got all growed up, my dad bought the boat from my uncle and picked up a 13hp longtail. I ran that boat for many years with the lil outboard and never had a problem. One duck season with the lt and the boat was trashed. Damn near tore the transom off of it. We pieced it back together and sold it.

Now I've got a pd boat and motor which I've traded my dad twice this year for a legendcraft with a bigger motor. I think I'm stickin with the pd boat for good now. The lc has a wider deck and bigger motor. But the pd boat is just built tougher, and I really like it. I've also almost put both of em up for sale to start over several times. Like I said enough is never enough. I'm tryin like hell just to settle with the pd and quit spendin money. There's just so many great boats out there for sale.

Welcome to the addiction.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:14 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]