It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 27 kohler performance 
MMT Member

Post 27 kohler performance
i run a mb lt 27 kohler on a16x48 express boat what can i do to get more speed out of it. i know there not speed motors just lookung for better profomance. would new carb and aftermarket muffler help thanks

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:08 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: 27 kohler performance
I would post up some more info..

What speeds are you getting now? With Load/without..
What type water, areas...
What are you wanting to get to?
How is prop running in water? (there is a number of recent threads on LT "tuning" that you should read thru-adjusting the cav plate and skeg)
How much you wanting/willing to spend?

For someone to help you, then kind of need to know the baseline of what you got now, and what you are wanting to get to.

Unless, you just want an obvious answer... Sure if you add a carb, re-do the intake, upgrade the exhaust, etc, etc... (you can do about as much as your wallet can stand) you are going to get more speed and more power, but more info will help someone get you where you want to be, or at least as how to spend whatever money you want to spend to get close.

Good luck

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:10 pm
MMT Member

im running around 17miles per hour with one man. and around 14 loaded i beleive i need to adjust my plate because i need to push down on the handle alot. it seems like i have to fight the motor. this is my second year with motor.as far as the water goes im not big much run the ohio river some hunt mainly sloughs

Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:07 pm
MMT Pro Member

check dimension on your prop......i have a MB 27 lite on a 1644 GT that i bought used last year and when i was first taking it out trying to get comfortable with how it handled......i could tell i was not getting any speed.....i was adjusting trim up and down. i called MB first and got no help so then i called gator-trax hoping i might get some help....after talking with ken and explaining everything, he told to measure my prop......the prop was a lil over a 1/4 short on each blade so there was no cup left.......i replaced blade and now no issues.........prior i was running 14mph just me and like 8 with a load........now i run 23 just me and 18-20 with a load........this may not help you but is something you can check

1644 Gator Trax...MB 27 mini (sold)
1654 prodrive....36 prodrive for & efi

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:20 pm
MMT Pro Member

x2 on checking your prop for wear. But there are plenty of mods you can do to your engine. You can do some head work and a mikuni carb for a good power increase. Or you could find some heads and intake off of a 30 kohler. Install those along with a mikuni for some good power too.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:48 pm
MMT F.E.

Speeds seem low.

I would work on adjusting the cav plate, etc...

Maybe tune the motor up?

Yes you can mods to get more, but have a buddy with same motor on a 17" boat that he loads to the hilt and he gets better than that.....

And Check the prop!

good luck. let us know what happens...

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]