It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 10:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 23 Vanguard Governor Adjustment 
MMT Pro Member

Post 23 Vanguard Governor Adjustment
I know this topic has been beat to death. I did a search on adjusting the governor and there was all kinds of information. My problem is, I can't seem to locate the screw with the spring that everyone is talking about that is used to adjust the governor. One of the posts had a link to allmudmotors.com that I clicked on... seems they have shut down the website. Can anyone take a picture of the motor and point out the governor adjustment screw. I am probably making this way harder than it is... I just need a visual. Thanks guys.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:51 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: 23 Vanguard Governor Adjustment
I looked into raising the governor on that motor and i believe the only way to do it is change the spring. Could be wrong but im pretty sure thats the only way.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:51 pm
MMT Pro Member

Okay. I just did all of my routine maintenance to it... change oil, spark plugs, fresh grease, etc., and my rpms at WOT out of water are over the 4000 mark, so i'm okay with that. Amazing what taking care of your equipment can do for you.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:29 pm
MMT Member

What were your rpms at before? I was having the same problem and adjusted some of the linkages on my carb and got higher rpms, but it sounds like I may need to do some routine maintenance.

Thu May 06, 2010 5:40 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thanks for asking osul45, because I am currently now only getting about 3950 rpms out of the water and would really like to get about 4050 or 4100. I think my only option now is to get a little bit tighter governor spring. The only problem with that is that i don't think this motor/carb has a throttle linkage "stop" so that you can set your max rpms.

Thu May 06, 2010 9:16 pm
MMT Pro Member

I think you may not be getting full travel on your throttle linkage. When i sold it to you it was hitting somewhere around 4100 otw. it was running 3700 in water. any chance when you replaced the throttle you didnt get the cable tight enough?

Fri May 07, 2010 1:58 am
MMT Pro Member

broz, thanks for replying. i am getting full throttle cable travel because it hits the stop that is back there and can't travel any farther. i'll fire it up today and make sure that it has full travel though, just to rule that out. I'll let you know what happens. I might also be able to adjust the needle valves on the carburator itself to see if I can get more rpms on the high end. One other thing I plan on doing once i get my gaskets I ordered is taking the carb off and giving it a good soak in some carb cleaner. That might help free things up and get my rpms up.

Fri May 07, 2010 5:49 am
MMT Member

I had the same problem but mine was only running about 3700 or WOT out of water, I have a 23 hp GDSD also, mine is a 2007 model but I'm sure they're probably almost the same. The adjustment I made is diificult to explain but im still only getting 3900 or so WOT out of water, i haven't had the chance to try and get a little more out of it yet because im trying to figure out my solenoid starter/ignition switch problem. I only figured out which part of the linkage to adjust by messing with it for a while and burning myself on the muffler a few times. If you are still having problems let me know and ill try to upload a picture tomorrow.

Fri May 07, 2010 6:11 pm
MMT Pro Member

Yeah man. Give me a picture and your best effort at explaining it.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:49 pm
MMT Pro Member

Duckbill

I posted the same question on multiple forums and couldn't get a reply. I ended up calling Micah at mudbuddy and he said theres a tab on the left side of the spring if you are facing the back of the motor. You have to bend that tab a little to get more rpms. If the tab has moved a little due to vibrations or if your spring is getting worn, just bend the tab to tighten it up a little. A pair of needle nose and two minutes of time is about all it takes.

Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm
MMT Pro Member

I found that tab and adjusted it accordingly. It did increase my rpms, however now my idle rpms are too high. When I made the little adjustment to the tab, my throttle linkage moved a little bit and now won't return to the idle screw. So, I had to adjust that tab back so that my idle rpms would be around 1250 which is where i like them. When I made the adjustment, my idle repms were at about 1450.

So, if I bend that tab a little bit to get higher rpms on the top end, is there another adjustment i can make so that my idle rpms stay down where i want them (i.e. so my throttle linkage still rests on the idle set screw)?

Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]