It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 10:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Small Block Exhaust Options? 
MMT Pro Member

Post Small Block Exhaust Options?
Looking at all the different 23hp Van exhaust options and it seems there used to be a twin exhaust for the 23? I cant find it anywhere. So far Ive seen bps, evt, staying away from gecker, any others to look at? At the moment Im just getting the stock muffler cut and modified with my head work and carb. Will the custom exhaust be that much a gain over this method? Im not really worried about looks, but performance and sound mean something. If my modified stock is going to sound like bad straight pipes Im not gonna do it. Just wondering what your guys experiences have been. Thanks for the help.

Mon May 10, 2010 12:50 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Small Block Exhaust Options?
A dual other than gecker. Like the bps duals. There also was some bullhorn pipes for the 23s way back. Are people just finding out what works best and sticking with designs?

Mon May 10, 2010 12:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Here's what I'm thinkin about doin. True dual's-- Tractor supply sell's muffler's for older tractor's just tryin to match as close as possible to inlet size of muffer size now. New exhaust flange weld em up and let her rip! just gotta try it keep the back pressure as close stock stock as possible my opinion?

Mon May 10, 2010 5:38 pm
MMT Pro Member

If Im going any different than modifying the stock Im going to go with SS. Im just trying to see if the gain from modifying the stock to going with a custom SS is justifiable. If I can get just as much out of modifying the stock baffles, I wont spend the $500 on the SS. Thats my question, what can I get out of modifying the stock muffler...

Mon May 10, 2010 7:19 pm
MMT Sponsor

Call Keith aka CHOPS

SETX PEFORMANCE
409-679-3131
http://www.setxperformance.com/

" He defently has his chit together.."

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 pm
MMT Pro Member

If anyone is looking and curious, I finally found a great post on HOW to go about modifying the stock. Still curious as to whether a custom SS has anymore gains over this other than being more durable. Id also like to hear some sound bites if anybody has em. Seems like just gutting the stock would turn it into a straight-pipe sound. I dont know too much tho, so well see!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2135&hilit=baffle

Mon May 10, 2010 7:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

before i made my ss duals I had cut open one side of my stock muffler and cut the baffles out so it was just two small pipes comin from the heads into one big pipe and out the single one in the rear and i didn't notice any performance gains , it got a bit louder but not as loud as i had expected it to be.

Mon May 10, 2010 9:17 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

There's something else you have to take off. Spark arrester or something. Think it has something to do with the tailpipe. Thats why they were replacing it when removing the baffles. When that part is removed, thats what open's up the exhaust.

Mon May 10, 2010 9:21 pm
MMT Pro Member

Yes, Im not looking for performance gains straight from the muffler, Im just looking for flow to help out the mikuni and heads Im putting on.

Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 pm
MMT Pro Member

PM Mag10. He made me an SS with awesome flow and good sound. Not really hard and about a tenth the cost of buying an SS exhaust.

He could probably give ya some directions

Tue May 11, 2010 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]