It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Gator Trax wiring questions/ advice 
MMT Member

Post Gator Trax wiring questions/ advice
I'm going to re wire my boat prior to duck season, but want to make some minor modifications. Ill be converting to an aluminum fuel tank, custom. Which will create enough room for the extra battery for lights, accessories. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on wiring a gator trax/ other aluminum boat that I can take ideas from? I'm currently only using the pull panel for running lights and bilge, likely going to install a new panel (6-8) and add cabin lights, possibly a couple other features.

Currently, the wires just run along the side, under gun boxes, but they're out in the open and ugly as can be. Any suggestions/ wiring advice would be helpful. I'm an amateur when it comes to the wiring set up, I have some experience but putting the whole thing together has been a challenge.

Thanks

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:15 am
MMT Member

Post Re: Gator Trax wiring questions/ advice
Amazon is your friend. I've helped re-wire a couple boats. It's important to use good quality wire that's made for marine applications. Blue Sea Systems makes really nice fuse blocks if you need any of those. Also Ancor will have all of the wire you need. I like to use braided wire loom instead of the crappy plastic split loom. Here are some links of stuff to check out...

I use the 14/2 duplex or 14/3 triplex wires in my GTR for accessories. What's nice is it has a dual coating to handle the weather.
https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-Gra ... ords=ancor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems ... ea+systems

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:53 am
MMT Member

Thanks, any recs on switch panels?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:01 am
MMT Member

Also, been wondering about grounding rods. How does everyone ground in aluminum boat? Especially is stereo is added?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:04 am
MMT Member

Sure, I have one of these in mine...

https://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Digital ... itch+panel
or another smaller option:
https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Marine- ... itch+panel

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:06 am
MMT Member

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:07 am
MMT Pro Member

I am bookmarking this thread for future use. Thank you!!

1542 F&F 23HP Backwater SWOMP (under construction)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 am
MMT Member

I have a 1644 Gatortrax with hunt deck and did a complete gut/ rewire on the entire boat. I will post pictures of what i have done later this week.

I drilled all the rivets/ cut the welds in the floor panels and removed them to get out any debris that would hinder wiring. then put the floors back in and welded/ riveted them along the old factory welds.

I cut open and removed the front bulkhead, blasted all the foam out, mounted a winch under the front deck and ran navlights, light bar, and winch wires along the starboard side of the boat pulling them through using a flat wire snake (home depot). i did the same with the fuel line along the port side. I ordered 14ga and 16ga copper tinned wire and everything is connected using heat shrink crimps with heat shrink tubing over top of the crimp.

I used a grounding post inside the dry box/ seat for major grounding wires (i.e. motor, winch solenoid, sound bar, light bar) i used a bus bar for the smaller accessories (nav lights, bilge, cockpit lights) i also installed an 8 switch rocker panel with breakers (fuck fuses). Lastly i installed a perko battery switch that kills everything in the boat (except auto bilge) when it is turned off.

in my humble opinion, I would gut your wiring if its an older used boat or has been subject to saltwater and meticulously redo it with good material/ components. The peace of mind and knowledge gained is invaluable.

Hope this helped. Good luck.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:08 am
MMT Member

I rewired my Gator Trax 1750 a few months ago and added this aluminum panel box and switch panel. Much better than the original and have a couple slots open for adding accessories. Here's a picute of the box and panel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 am
MMT Pro Member

1542 F&F 23HP Backwater SWOMP (under construction)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:35 am
MMT 1000 Club

6.5 Backwater SWOMP Lite / 1440 PolarKraft

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:37 am
MMT F.E.

I would imagine he has a Perko switch before the switch box that can cut off all power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:56 am
MMT Super Elite Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:25 am
MMT Member

I put a main power switch, mounted to the bottom of the box so its out of the way, to turn the whole box on/off when not in use. Each switch is backlit but only when the switch is in the ON position. The battery meter reads constantly and the indicator light for the USB plugs is on constantly, hence the need to add a main power switch.

The circle flip up is the stern light mount.

The battery was low because I turned everything on to take the picture. With accessories off and motor off the meter reads 12.6. When the motor is running, the battery meter reads 14.1 volts. :D

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:33 pm
MMT Member

here's a few photos of the wiring i completed before season last year. you can see the grounding post below the winch solenoid (left of perko switch) . My main regret is not buying a covered bus bar. in retrospect i also should've used a piece of plywood for a mock-up jig to really clean up the wires on a final installation. Again, everything uses heat shrink tubing at a minimum and heat shrink but connectors if they were available.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:59 pm
MMT 1000 Club

This is how I wired the godevil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Just another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm
MMT F.E.

I've got the Volt meter / dual usb charging port that fits a standard rocker switch, wired it to ignition so only comes on when key is on. I use 2 aluminum 4 rocker switch panels, and use a hot wire from battery to fuse panel then separate fuse wired to each switch. I didn't wire up the switches to light up so to keep my night vision from being degraded.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 am
MMT Member

Here are a few pictures of my wiring setup. I run dual batteries with a Mini ACR which allows me to charge both, but draw from each individually. So none of my accessories(except for bilge) are on my starting battery.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 11.34.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 11.33.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 11.34.21 AM.png

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:37 am
MMT Member

Here is the sketch of my wiring scheme. I do not use fuses, i prefer switch panel with breakers.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]