MMT F.E.

Post Re: Boat manufactures flotation

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Boat manufactures flotation

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 pm
MMT Elite Member

It is natural selection - the stupid die first - don't be stupid...

Those are the facts as gathered by the CDC and USCG....

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:32 pm
MMT F.E.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:37 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Those are the facts, but they don't tell the whole story, nor do they support or disprove your argument. They're incomplete as bluesky points out. It's one thing to believe a certain way, even to see firsthand the benefits or downsides, but stating facts, throwing some implications in with them (that open motorboats in those stats are mud boats, when in fact it includes all sorts of boats to include fish/ski, bass, etc), is just about as useless as arguing on the internet. Have fun with that.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 pm
MMT Elite Member

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:59 am
MMT F.E.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 am
MMT Addict

This all started with the question of foam absorbing water. Talk to a Journeyman roofer that does commercial buildings. I have . they will tell you all foam will absorb water at various rates depending on how much contact and type of foam. If you never want to replace your foam use the solution already suggested. fill the cavities with empty plastic bottles and hope vibration doesn't wear a hole in them. I don't have enough room for bottles to fit under the floor so I use foam and get a baseline weight of the boat with new foam. Every couple of years I reweigh the boat and make a decision on whether or not to replace the foam. I also tie down my fuel cans and action packers in the hope they will add flotation if it is needed.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:21 pm
MMT F.E.

Someone show me in the constitution where the federal government derives the power to make a law regarding whether my boat does or does not have floatation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:26 pm
MMT F.E.

Giga, Why do you fight this fight? Let 'em swim!

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 pm
MMT Elite Member

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 pm
MMT F.E.

Granted, that is a good question.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:50 am
MMT Member

My first demo ride was in Westend Angler's custom flotation built 1860 hull by GTR. We both run the Texas Coast and Agreed flotation was a necessary safety issue. From forgetting to put a plug in to rogue wave to cement pilings below the surface to shell bottoms to petrified stumps to low free board to mudmotor do not trim well when quartering etc etc etc
Totally agree on life jackets ( most important )and kill switch , vhf radio, cell phones, spots, are all important. Plenty of info out there about staying with your sunken boat is safest method to being found or protected from a potential brutal shoereline.
WC Custom builds flotation models. With ingenuity Pete was able minimize lost interior space on my 1854 hull. I expect at some point the foam will need to be replaced but after 4yrs it seems as good as new due to the fact that water is able drain past the 2 inch blocks along the stringers under the floor.

The Rear Corner seating holds floatations as well but sits on the stringers so is never sitting in water. They will need to be opened up for inspection even though it's closed cell foam but like hydro turf I expected it would need to be replaced.

Best guess is the weight of flotation foam and seat boxes for a 1854 hull is about 80lbs. So you will sacfice some speed and performance. Before the stage 2 averaged 22-23 mph but now 28-29 with heavy loads.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 pm
MMT Member

My first demo ride was in Westend Angler's custom flotation built 1860 hull by GTR. We both run the Texas Coast and Agreed flotation was a necessary safety issue. From forgetting to put a plug in to rogue wave to cement pilings below the surface to shell bottoms to petrified stumps to low free board to mudmotor do not trim well when quartering etc etc etc
Totally agree on life jackets ( most important )and kill switch , vhf radio, cell phones, spots, are all important. Plenty of info out there about staying with your sunken boat is safest method to being found or protected from a potential brutal shoereline.
WC Custom builds flotation models. With ingenuity Pete was able minimize lost interior space on my 1854 hull. I expect at some point the foam will need to be replaced but after 4yrs it seems as good as new due to the fact that water is able drain past the 2 inch blocks along the stringers under the floor.

The Rear Corner seating holds floatations as well but sits on the stringers so is never sitting in water. They will need to be opened up for inspection even though it's closed cell foam but like hydro turf I expected it would need to be replaced.

Best guess is the weight of flotation foam and seat boxes for a 1854 hull is about 80lbs. So you will sacfice some speed and performance. Before the stage 2 averaged 22-23 mph but now 28-29 with heavy loads.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2